Podcasts de historia

¿En qué parte de una ciudad se construiría una catedral?

¿En qué parte de una ciudad se construiría una catedral?

Estoy creando un pueblo de estilo medieval en un videojuego que estoy desarrollando. Tratando de ser lo más preciso posible, he estudiado la forma básica de las catedrales góticas y he llegado a una comprensión bastante buena. Sin embargo, una cosa que no he podido averiguar es en qué parte de las ciudades se construyeron exactamente. ¿Estaban generalmente cerca del centro de la ciudad? Sé que leí que las casas capitulares se construyen cerca, pero ¿qué tan cerca?

Cualquier información sería muy apreciada gracias.


Para comprender dónde se puede colocar una catedral, es importante comprender la función y la historia de las catedrales.

Tenga en cuenta que es probable que el historial dependa de muchos factores diferentes y sea diferente para diferentes lugares, y que (como se indica en la página de Wikipedia):

"... las catedrales no se hicieron universales dentro de la Iglesia católica occidental hasta el siglo XII"

Limitaré mi respuesta a las catedrales de Inglaterra y Escocia.


En Inglaterra y Escocia, las investigaciones arqueológicas han demostrado que la mayoría de las catedrales se construyen en los sitios de iglesias anteriores (la mayoría data del período anglosajón, pero algunas tienen orígenes anteriores). Algunos ejemplos serían Canterbury, Durham, Glasgow, Rochester y Winchester.

En general, la ubicación de la catedral estaba, por tanto, determinada por la ubicación de la iglesia preexistente. La ubicación de esa iglesia también podría estar determinada por una serie de factores, pero fue básicamente un regalo del rey anglosajón. De ninguna manera todas estas iglesias estaban ubicadas en ciudades.

Una vez que se construyó una iglesia, los asentamientos tenderían a acumularse a su alrededor. Una iglesia construida al borde de un asentamiento puede encontrarse cerca del centro a medida que el asentamiento se expande a su alrededor.


A raíz de la conquista normanda de Inglaterra, el nuevo arzobispo de Canterbury, Lanfranc, presidió el Concilio de Londres en 1075, que ordenó una reestructuración significativa de las catedrales en Inglaterra:

Por los decretos de los Papas Dámaso y León, y por los Concilios de Sardica y Laodicea, por los cuales está prohibido que las sedes de los obispos se encuentren en las aldeas de las ciudades, otorgadas por el favor real y la autoridad del Concilio a los tres obispos antes mencionados para emigrar. de aldeas a ciudades: Hermann de Sherborne a Old Sarum, Stigand de Selsey a Chichester, Peter de Lichfield a Chester.

  • Gee & Hardy, Documentos ilustrativos de la historia de la Iglesia inglesa, págs. 54-55

Por decreto papal, las catedrales ya no podían ubicarse en vills. Lo que esto significó en 1075 fue que Stigand, obispo de los sajones del sur, tuvo que trasladar su sede de Selsey a Chichester; Hermann, el obispo de Wiltshire y Dorset, tuvo que trasladar su sede de Sherborne a Salisbury y Peter, el obispo de Mercia, tuvo que trasladar su sede de Lichfield a Chester.

¡Esto proporcionó un incentivo obvio e inmediato para la expansión de las nuevas iglesias catedrales en esas ciudades!

  • La nueva catedral de Chichester fue consagrada en 1108.

  • La catedral de Salisbury fue reconstruida en un terreno donado por Richard Poore. La primera piedra se colocó el 28 de abril de 1220.

  • La sede del obispo de Mercia estuvo ubicada en la iglesia de San Juan Bautista en Chester de 1075 a 1082. En 1082 la sede se trasladó a Coventry, donde permaneció hasta que finalmente se trasladó a la catedral de Lichfield en 1539. (La actual Catedral de Chester anteriormente era la iglesia abacial de un monasterio benedictino establecido en ese sitio en 1093).


Como se señaló anteriormente, los reyes sajones otorgaron tierras para establecer la iglesia y sus recintos. ¡Rara vez era el terreno "mejor" o más adecuado para construir una gran catedral! Las primeras iglesias eran edificios bastante pequeños. Algunos pueden haber sido relativamente grandes en comparación con otros edificios a su alrededor, ¡pero nada como la escala de los edificios de la catedral que vemos hoy!

Las ubicaciones a menudo causaron problemas importantes para los constructores de catedrales medievales (sin mencionar los problemas que las ubicaciones continúan causando a sus contrapartes modernas, los conservadores de la catedral, ¡cuyo trabajo es tratar de evitar que estos edificios se derrumben!).


Aproximadamente la mitad de las catedrales de Inglaterra estaban gobernadas por órdenes monásticas. El Prior del monasterio era también el Decano de la catedral. El resto estaba dirigido por cánones seculares, cada uno encabezado por un decano secular.

Como era de esperar, quién estaría a cargo de la catedral fue un factor importante para determinar su ubicación (e historia). Los monasterios acumularon enormes cantidades de tierra en legados a lo largo del período medieval, y los propios monasterios determinaron cómo se usaba esa tierra.

El artículo de Wikipedia Desarrollo histórico de las diócesis de la Iglesia de Inglaterra tiene más información que puede resultarle de interés al respecto.


Casi todas las catedrales se ampliaron y ampliaron tras la conquista normanda. Además de hacer el edificio de la iglesia más grande, eso también significaba a menudo expandir el recinto de la catedral. Esto, a su vez, implicó sacar a las personas que tuvieron la desgracia de estorbar.

Una característica notable de la arquitectura urbana posterior a la conquista en Inglaterra es que las ubicaciones estratégicas, como La colina, fueron a menudo apropiados para El castillo. ¡Por lo tanto, rara vez estaban disponibles para construir iglesias catedrales!

Encontrará que el tema ha sido tratado en detalle en la tesis doctoral de 2011 The Old in the New: Urban Castle Imposition in Anglo-Norman England, AD1050-1150 por Michael Fradley.


Finalmente, la catedral fue la sede del obispo. Sin embargo, eso no significa que también fuera su residencia principal.

Desde la conquista normanda de Inglaterra, muchos, quizás la mayoría, obispos mantuvieron palacios importantes y lujosos. Estos palacios del obispo a menudo se ubicaban fuera de su diócesis. Un ejemplo notable aquí es el palacio de Southwark, en la orilla sur del río Támesis, frente a la ciudad de Londres, que fue mantenido por los obispos de Winchester desde mediados del siglo XII.

  • Fuente de la imagen Wikimedia, Fotografía de Mike Peel, CC-BY-SA-4.0.

La colina.

El agente más potente reclamará a The Hill como el terreno más defendible.

La colina generalmente será sagrada o secular de la organización religiosa / social anterior.


Historia y patrimonio

Sentar las bases de la Catedral de San Patricio, c. 1860


La historia de la gran catedral de Nueva York refleja la historia de la ciudad misma. Creada para afirmar el ascenso de la libertad religiosa y la tolerancia, la Catedral de San Patricio fue construida con un espíritu democrático, pagada no solo con las contribuciones de miles de inmigrantes pobres sino también con la generosidad de 103 ciudadanos prominentes que prometieron $ 1,000 cada uno. La Catedral de San Patricio demuestra la máxima de que ninguna generación construye una catedral. Es más bien una especie de conversación en curso que une generaciones pasadas, presentes y futuras.

La piedra angular de la Catedral de San Patricio se colocó en 1858 y sus puertas se abrieron en 1879. Fue hace más de 160 años cuando el Arzobispo John Hughes anunció su ambición inspirada de construir la "nueva" Catedral de San Patricio.

En una ceremonia en la Catedral Vieja de San Patricio, el Arzobispo Hughes propuso “para la gloria de Dios Todopoderoso, para el honor de la Santísima e Inmaculada Virgen, para la exaltación de la Santa Madre Iglesia, para la dignidad de nuestro antiguo y glorioso nombre católico, erigir una catedral en la ciudad de Nueva York que pueda ser digna de nuestro creciente número, inteligencia y riqueza como comunidad religiosa y, en todo caso, digna como monumento arquitectónico público, de las coronas presentes y futuras de esta metrópoli de el continente americano ".

El arzobispo Hughes, ridiculizado como "la locura de Hughes", ya que el sitio propuesto, cercano a la naturaleza, se consideraba demasiado alejado de la ciudad, persistió en su atrevida visión de construir la catedral gótica más hermosa del Nuevo Mundo en lo que él creía que sería un día será "el corazón de la ciudad". Ni el derramamiento de sangre de la Guerra Civil ni la consiguiente falta de mano de obra o fondos descarrilarían el cumplimiento final del sueño y arquitecto de Hughes, el audaz plan de James Renwick.


"La Feria" para recaudar fondos para la apertura de San Patricio se llevó a cabo del 22 de octubre al 30 de noviembre de 1878. Fue la feria eclesiástica más grande jamás celebrada en los Estados Unidos.


Compra de terreno original

El terreno en la Quinta Avenida donde ahora se encuentra la Catedral de San Patricio fue comprado por la congregación jesuita de la Iglesia Católica. La Congregación Jesuita fue una orden que se centró en la educación, la investigación y otras actividades diversas. Según su orden, el terreno comprado en 1810 se utilizó para la construcción de un colegio y una capilla.

Los jesuitas vendieron la tierra en 1814 a la Orden de los Cistercienses de la Estricta Observancia También conocidos en la historia como los trapenses franceses. Cuando Napoleón comenzó a perder el poder en 1815, los trapenses sintieron que era seguro regresar a Francia sin enfrentar más persecuciones religiosas. Los trapenses abandonaron la propiedad en la Quinta Avenida. Durante años, la capilla de la Quinta Avenida permaneció cerrada.

Finalmente, la capilla de la propiedad en la Quinta Avenida fue reabierta en la década de 1830 por el obispo de Nueva York John Dubois. La parroquia pronto estuvo plagada de problemas financieros y debido a una junta de fideicomisarios incompetente, la propiedad se vendió en una subasta en 1844. [3] Perder una iglesia fue devastador para la parroquia que la apoyaba. Un joven sacerdote llamado Padre Michael A. Curran luchó duro para recaudar fondos para recomprar la iglesia. El padre Curran trabajó sin esfuerzo para recaudar fondos y finalmente pudo volver a comprar la capilla y la propiedad en la que se encontraba. A medida que la parroquia seguía creciendo, se necesitaba una iglesia más grande. A medida que el continuo aumento de inmigrantes católicos comenzó a extenderse por toda la ciudad de Nueva York, se eligió el sitio en el que se encontraba la iglesia para utilizarlo en la construcción de la nueva Catedral de San Patricio.


¿En qué parte de una ciudad se construiría una catedral? - Historia

La historia de la enorme Catedral de la Transfiguración de Markham

Permanecer en el bucle

La Catedral de la Transfiguración se destaca de sus alrededores en Markham.

De pie en una zona tranquila al norte de Major Mackenzie Drive y Hwy 404, sus tres torres y campanas enormes son un espectáculo digno de ver entre las hileras de casas idénticas que lo rodean.

Al igual que la arquitectura y el diseño de la catedral, su historia es intrincada y se remonta a 1984.

La construcción comenzó en 1984

Según su sitio web, la Catedral de la Transfiguración se encuentra en un terreno que alguna vez fue parte de Romandale Farms Inc.

El propietario, Stephen B. Roman, fue un destacado criador y expositor de vacas Holstein en América del Norte.

El Papa Juan Pablo II visitando la Catedral de la Transfiguración cuando todavía estaba en construcción el 15 de septiembre de 1984. Foto vía la Catedral de la Transfiguración.

Como nativo eslovaco que emigró a Canadá, Roman donó el terreno para construir la catedral para que pudiera servir "como un faro de libertad religiosa para sus compañeros eslavos que entonces vivían bajo el dominio represivo de la ex Unión Soviética, sin libertad religiosa".

En 1984 comenzó la construcción de la catedral, y su piedra angular y el altar fueron bendecidos por el Papa Juan Pablo II cuando visitó ese mismo año. Esta también marcó la primera vez que un pontífice romano bendijo una iglesia en América del Norte.

Lamentablemente, Roman no viviría para ver cómo su catedral se hacía realidad, ya que murió de un ataque al corazón en 1988 a la edad de 66 años. Según la Catedral de la Transfiguración, más de mil personas asistieron a su funeral, que se celebró en el catedral inacabada.

Después de la muerte de Roman, su legado pasó a su hija Helen ya la Fundación de la Iglesia Católica Griega Eslovaca.

En 1990, el primer presidente de una Checoslovaquia democrática, tras la caída del régimen comunista, visitó la catedral. Se convirtió en un lugar de reunión y un signo de esperanza para los eslovacos en Canadá y en Europa.


Catedral de la Plata, núcleo de una ciudad nueva: una historia de ciudades en 50 edificios, día 11

En 1880, Argentina atravesaba un período político particularmente convulso. Las provincias del interior, resentidas con la posición de Buenos Aires como capital federal y capital de la acaudalada provincia de Buenos Aires, querían trasladar la sede del gobierno nacional al interior, pero los intereses poderosos no se movían.

Los líderes políticos de Argentina finalmente llegaron a un compromiso: dejar Buenos Aires como capital federal pero separarla de la provincia como distrito autónomo. Aunque el plan buscaba poner fin al prolongado conflicto, se complicó por el hecho de que ninguna otra ciudad era lo suficientemente grande como para convertirse en la nueva capital provincial. ¿La solución? Construye una nueva ciudad desde cero.

La tarea de seleccionar un sitio recayó en el gobernador provincial Dardo Rocha, quien reclutó al ingeniero Pedro Benoit. Eligieron una ubicación aproximadamente a 30 millas al sureste de la ciudad de Buenos Aires, lo suficientemente lejos para darle a la nueva metrópolis su propia identidad.

A diferencia de la cercana Buenos Aires, cuyo patrón de calles torcidas es difícil de categorizar, la ciudad de Benoit, La Plata, sería una cuadrícula perfecta, midiendo 36 por 36 cuadras. Cada seis cuadras, las calles se ensanchaban en avenidas para un tránsito más rápido y, donde las avenidas se cruzaban, se colocaban plazas o rotondas. Al dividir el patrón de la cuadrícula había dos "diagonales" principales, que se originaban en las esquinas del plano de la cuadrícula y convergían en el centro absoluto de la ciudad. Allí se colocó una plaza pública más amplia, destinada a convertirse en el núcleo de la vida ciudadana. Y justo en su corazón, Benoit planeó un hito de piedra de toque: la catedral de La Plata, que se coronará con imponentes agujas góticas.

Plano cuadriculado de La Plata

El imponente diseño gótico de la catedral fue elegido por Rocha, quien consideró que era la expresión más pura de la voluntad divina. Según Eduardo Karakachoff, miembro de la sociedad de preservación Demandados La Plata (Defender La Plata), la catedral estaba ubicada en el centro de la ciudad debido al papel central de la religión en la vida pública. "Simbolizaba la creencia de que todos los miembros de la sociedad están igualmente cerca de Dios", dice Karakachoff.

El plan maestro de La Plata marcó un punto de inflexión significativo en la planificación urbana en Argentina. Si bien los diseños anteriores fueron moldeados por las Leyes de Indias promulgadas por la monarquía española, el plan de Benoit reflejaba una postura más secular hacia el gobierno. La catedral se colocó en el lado opuesto de la plaza central de los edificios gubernamentales de la nueva capital, un reconocimiento a la separación de la iglesia y el estado que buscaba facilitar el papel apropiado de ambas entidades.

Después de que se abrió la tierra en la nueva ciudad en 1882, el trazado de las calles y los edificios gubernamentales se construyeron rápidamente. Pero el progreso de la catedral fue mucho más gradual. Además de los diseños complejos que ralentizaron la construcción, el proyecto se vio obstaculizado por la recesión y la agitación política en 1884. Finalmente, inaugurado casi 50 años después, en 1932, faltaba una característica clave en la catedral: las emblemáticas agujas. Para muchos, parecía que la visión original de Benoit nunca se haría realidad.

Mientras tanto, la propia ciudad se enfrentó a una crisis similar. Después de que el optimismo de La Plata de la década de 1880 desapareciera, la construcción se desplomó. Aunque la inclusión de electricidad y agua corriente en toda la nueva ciudad se consideró una maravilla tecnológica, la falta de residentes permanentes llevó a muchos a ver a La Plata como un pueblo fantasma cubierto de maleza. En 1890, el visitante francés Thèodore Childe comentó: "La ciudad lo tiene todo, excepto los residentes, y una razón para existir".

A pesar de los esfuerzos posteriores para animar la ciudad, como un nuevo campus universitario construido en 1905, La Plata tardaría la mayor parte del siglo XX en sacudir esta reputación. Durante la segunda mitad del siglo, el estatus de La Plata como la ciudad planificada preeminente en América del Sur fue eclipsada por la construcción de la nueva capital de Brasil, Brasilia. Debido a su mayor escala y fiel adhesión a los principios de planificación urbana de Le Corbusier y su protegido brasileño Oscar Niemeyer, Brasilia rápidamente ganó reconocimiento internacional como el futuro del diseño urbano. A pesar de toda la atención internacional que La Plata había recibido cuando se construyó, incluidas dos medallas de oro en la Exposición Universal de 1889 en París, su diseño más amigable para los peatones ahora parecía una reliquia de una época pasada.

La catedral en construcción en 1910. Las torres no se completaron hasta la década de 1990. Fotografía: Archivos de Alinari / Getty Images

Pero La Plata iba a tener un renacimiento que comenzaría de manera espectacular. En 1987, un mitin político realizado frente a la Catedral de La Plata fue interrumpido cuando un gran panel de vidrio se rompió del edificio y se hizo añicos en una silla donde el gobernador de Buenos Aires se había sentado solo unos segundos antes. Esto generó la voluntad política no solo para reparar la catedral en deterioro, sino también para construir las dos torres que el creador de la ciudad había imaginado hace más de 100 años. La construcción comenzó en 1997, y en 1999 la catedral finalmente se abrió, con torres y todo, frente a una multitud de 150.000 personas.

Para entonces, la ciudad misma había madurado también, transformándose en una metrópoli con su propia cultura distintiva. De hoy Platenses (residentes de La Plata) se enorgullecen de su identidad como respetuosos, amantes de los libros y amantes de la diversión, aunque un poco menos ruidosos que sus vecinos de Buenos Aires.

Si bien La Plata alguna vez tuvo problemas para atraer nuevos residentes, ahora puede haber demasiados, y muchos de los edificios originales han sido reemplazados por torres de gran altura, a menudo construidas sin la consideración adecuada para el drenaje. Actualmente, la mayor amenaza no es para la catedral, sino para muchos de los otros edificios históricos de la ciudad. Además, una gran parte del bosque de eucaliptos, que Dardo Rocha insistió en salvar durante la creación de la ciudad, ahora ha sido despejada para dar paso a un estadio de fútbol de propiedad privada.

Demandados La Plata se ha pronunciado especialmente sobre la preservación del patrimonio de la ciudad. Karakachoff dice que el desarrollo ha estado "completamente fuera de control" desde que se introdujo un nuevo código de construcción en 2010. En abril de 2013, tres años después de que se aprobara el nuevo código de construcción amigable, La Plata fue sacudida por una devastadora inundación con un número de muertos. que finalmente llegaría a 89 personas. Los funcionarios de la ciudad sostienen que dadas las intensas lluvias, el desastre no se pudo haber evitado. Pero Demandados La Plata y otros sienten que el desarrollo sin ataduras, especialmente en el centro histórico de La Plata, colocó una carga innecesaria en el sistema de drenaje de la ciudad.

Aunque el estatus monumental de la catedral hace que sea poco probable que alguna vez se enfrente a la bola de demolición, su ubicación y visibilidad en toda la ciudad pueden verse amenazadas si los desarrollos residenciales más pequeños a su alrededor son reemplazados por rascacielos.


¿En qué parte de una ciudad se construiría una catedral? - Historia

La Catedral Metropolitana de la Asunción de la Santísima Virgen María a los Cielos es la sede de la Arquidiócesis Católica de México. Está situado en lo alto del antiguo recinto sagrado azteca cerca del Templo Mayor en el lado norte de la Plaza de la Constitución (Zócalo) en el centro de la Ciudad de México. La catedral se construyó en secciones desde 1573 hasta 1813 alrededor de la iglesia original que se construyó poco después de la conquista española de Tenochtitlan, reemplazándola finalmente por completo. El arquitecto español Claudio de Arciniega planeó la construcción, inspirándose en las catedrales góticas de España.

Debido al largo tiempo que llevó construirlo, poco menos de 250 años, prácticamente todos los principales arquitectos, pintores, escultores, maestros doradores y demás artistas plásticos del virreinato trabajaron en algún momento en la construcción del recinto. Esta misma condición, la de su extenso período de construcción, permitió la integración en ella de los diversos estilos arquitectónicos vigentes y en boga en esos siglos: gótico, barroco, churrigueresco, neoclásico, entre otros. Misma situación experimentó diferentes ornamentos, pinturas, esculturas y muebles en el interior.

Su realización significó un punto de cohesión social, porque involucró a las mismas autoridades eclesiásticas, autoridades de gobierno, diferentes hermandades religiosas como tantas generaciones de grupos sociales de todas las clases.

También es, como consecuencia de la influencia de la Iglesia Católica en la vida pública, que el edificio se entrelazó con eventos de importancia histórica para las sociedades de la Nueva España y el México independiente. Por mencionar algunos, están la coronación de Agustín de Iturbide y Ana María Huarte como emperadores de México por parte del Presidente del Congreso la preservación de los restos funerarios del citado monarca entierro hasta 1925 de varios de los héroes independentistas como Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla y José María Morelos las disputas entre liberales y conservadores provocadas por la separación de la iglesia y el estado en la Reforma el cierre del edificio en los días de la Guerra Cristera las celebraciones del bicentenario de la independencia, entre otros.

La catedral mira al sur. Las medidas aproximadas de esta iglesia son 59 metros (194 pies) de ancho por 128 metros (420 pies) de largo y una altura de 67 metros (220 pies) hasta la punta de las torres. Consta de dos campanarios, una cúpula central, tres portales principales. Tiene cuatro fachadas que contienen portales flanqueados por columnas y estatuas. Tiene cinco naves formadas por 51 bóvedas, 74 arcos y 40 columnas. Los dos campanarios contienen un total de 25 campanas. El tabernáculo, adyacente a la catedral, contiene el baptisterio y sirve para registrar a los feligreses.

Hay cinco altares grandes y ornamentados, una sacristía, un coro, un área de coro, un pasillo y una sala capitular. Catorce de la catedral y dieciséis capillas están abiertas al público. Cada capilla está dedicada a un santo o santos diferentes, y cada una fue patrocinada por un gremio religioso. Las capillas contienen altares ornamentados, retablos, retablos, pinturas, muebles y esculturas. La catedral alberga dos de los órganos del siglo XVIII más grandes de América. Hay una cripta debajo de la catedral que contiene los restos de muchos ex arzobispos. La catedral tiene aproximadamente 150 ventanas.

A lo largo de los siglos, la catedral ha sufrido daños. Un incendio en 1967 destruyó una parte significativa del interior de la catedral. El trabajo de restauración que siguió descubrió una serie de documentos y obras de arte importantes que anteriormente habían estado ocultos. Aunque se construyó una base sólida para la catedral, el suelo arcilloso suave sobre el que está construida ha sido una amenaza para su integridad estructural. La caída de las capas freáticas y el hundimiento acelerado hicieron que la estructura se agregara a la lista del Fondo Mundial de Monumentos de los 100 sitios más amenazados. Los trabajos de restauración que comenzaron en la década de 1990 estabilizaron la catedral y se eliminó de la lista de especies en peligro de extinción en 2000.

Trasfondo: La Iglesia Mayor
Luego de la conquista española del imperio azteca, y luego del regreso de Hernán Cortés de la exploración de la actual Honduras, los conquistadores decidieron construir una iglesia en el lugar donde se ubicaba el Templo Principal de la ciudad azteca de Tenochtitlán, desde De esta forma, consolidar el poder español sobre el territorio recién conquistado. Existe evidencia de la existencia de un gran templo mayor dedicado al dios Quetzalcoatl, un templo dedicado al dios Huitzilopochtli y otros edificios menores.

El arquitecto Martín de Sepúlveda fue el primer director del proyecto entre 1524 y 1532, mientras que Juan de Zumárraga fue el primer obispo de la sede episcopal en el Nuevo Mundo. La catedral de Zumárraga estaba en la parte noreste de lo que es la actual catedral. Tenía tres naves separadas por columnas toscanas, la cubierta central tenía intrincados grabados de Juan Salcedo Espinosa y oro de Francisco de Zumaya y Andrés de la Concha. La puerta principal probablemente fue de estilo renacentista. El coro tenía 48 asientos hechos a mano por Adrián Suster y Juan Montaño en madera de ayacahuite. Para la construcción utilizaron las piedras del destruido templo del dios Huitzilopochtli, dios de la guerra y deidad principal de los aztecas.

A pesar de todo, este templo pronto se consideró insuficiente para la creciente importancia de la capital del Virreinato de la Nueva España. Esta primera iglesia fue elevada a catedral por el rey Carlos I de España y el papa Clemente VII según bula del 9 de septiembre de 1534 y posteriormente nombrado metropolitano por Pablo III en 1547.

Esta pequeña y pobre iglesia, vilipendiada por todos los cronistas que la consideraban indigna de una ciudad tan grande y famosa, rindió mal sus servicios durante muchos años. Muy pronto se ordenó que se construyera un nuevo templo, de suntuosidad proporcionada a la grandeza de la Colonia más, más esta nueva fábrica encontró tantos obstáculos en su inicio, con tantas dificultades para su enjuiciamiento, que el antiguo templo vio pasar en sus naves estrechan suntuosas ceremonias del virreinato y sólo cuando el hecho que las motivó fuera de gran importancia, otra iglesia, como la de San Francisco, sería elegida para levantar el túmulo para el funeral de Carlos V en su enorme capilla de San José de los Indios.

Al ver que la conclusión de la nueva iglesia era larga, se iniciaba su fábrica, el año de 1584 se decidió reparar por completo la antigua catedral, que sin duda sería poco menos que ruinosa, para celebrar el tercer Concilio Mexicano.

La iglesia era poco más que el frente de la nueva catedral sus tres naves no alcanzaban los 30 metros de ancho y estaban techadas, la central con armadura de media tijera, las de los lados con vigas horizontales. Además de la puerta del Perdón hubo otra llamada de los Canónigos, y quizás una tercera quedó para el lugar del Marqués. Años más tarde, la catedral era pequeña para su función. En 1544, las autoridades eclesiásticas ya habían ordenado la construcción de una catedral nueva y más suntuosa.

Inicio del trabajo
Casi todas las catedrales americanas de esta primera época renacentista siguen el modelo de la de Jaén, cuya primera piedra fue colocada en 1540. De planta rectangular y, a lo sumo con la capilla Ochavada, son las catedrales de México, Puebla. (& # 8230) Se inspiró principalmente en la Catedral de Jaén de 1540, de planta rectangular y cabecera plana, aunque es probable que también se deje seducir por el modelo Valladolid Herrera, la relación entre la catedral de Valladolid, proyectada en 1580, con las catedrales americanas no se ha tenido suficientemente en cuenta.
Extraído de Arte hispanoamericano (1988).

En 1552, se llegó a un acuerdo por el cual el costo de la nueva catedral sería compartido por la corona española, los emperadores y los indios bajo la autoridad directa del arzobispo de Nueva España. Los planes iniciales para la fundación de la nueva catedral se iniciaron en 1562, dentro del proyecto de construcción de la obra, el entonces arzobispo Alonso de Montúfar habría propuesto una construcción monumental compuesta por siete naves y basada en el diseño de la Catedral de Sevilla. un proyecto que en palabras del propio Montúfar llevaría 10 o 12 años. El peso de una obra de tales dimensiones en un subsuelo de origen pantanoso requeriría una cimentación especial. Inicialmente se colocaron vigas transversales para construir una plataforma, algo que requería altos costos y un drenaje constante, al final dicho proyecto sería abandonado no solo por el costo mencionado, sino por las inundaciones que sufrió el centro de la ciudad. Es entonces cuando, con el apoyo de técnicas indígenas, se inyectan a gran profundidad pilotes de madera maciza, alrededor de veinte mil de estos pilotes en un área de seis mil metros cuadrados. El proyecto se reduce de las siete naves originales a solo cinco: una central, dos procesionales y dos laterales para las 16 capillas. La construcción comenzó con los diseños y modelos creados por Claudio de Arciniega y Juan Miguel de Agüero, inspirados en las catedrales españolas de Jaén y Valladolid.

En 1571, con cierta demora, el virrey Martín Enríquez de Almansa y el arzobispo Pedro Moya de Contreras colocaron la primera piedra del templo actual. La catedral comenzó a construirse en 1573 alrededor de la iglesia existente que fue demolida cuando las obras avanzaron lo suficiente como para albergar las funciones básicas del templo.

La obra se inició con una orientación norte-sur, contraria a la de la mayoría de las catedrales, esto debido a las hendiduras del subsuelo que afectarían al edificio con una orientación tradicional este-oeste. Primero se construyó la sala capitular y la sacristía, la construcción de las bóvedas y las naves tardaron cien años.

Desarrollo constructivo
El inicio de las obras se encontró en un terreno fangoso e inestable que complicó las obras, por ello, el tezontle y la piedra chiluca fueron favorecidos como materiales de construcción en varias zonas, sobre la cantera, siendo estas más ligeras. En 1581 se comenzaron a levantar los muros y en 1585 se iniciaron las obras en la primera capilla, en ese momento los nombres de los picapedreros que trabajaron en la obra eran: Juan Arteaga trabajó en las capillas y Hernán García de Villaverde, quien también trabajó en los pilares cuyas medias muestras fueron esculpidas por Martín Casillas. En 1615 los muros alcanzaron la mitad de su altura total. Las obras del interior se iniciaron en 1623 para la sacristía, siendo demolida la primitiva iglesia. El 21 de septiembre de 1629, las obras fueron interrumpidas por la inundación que azotó la ciudad, donde el agua alcanzó los dos metros de altura, provocando daños en lo que hoy es la Plaza de la Constitución y otros puntos de la ciudad. Por los daños se inició un proyecto para construir la nueva catedral en los cerros de Tacubaya, al oeste de la ciudad, pero se descartó la idea y el proyecto continuó en el mismo lugar, bajo la dirección de Juan Gómez de Trasmonte.

El arzobispo Marcos Ramírez de Prado y Ovando realizó la segunda dedicación el 22 de diciembre de 1667, año en que se cerró la última bóveda. A la fecha de la consagración, (faltando, en ese momento, campanarios, fachada principal y otros elementos construidos en el siglo XVIII), el costo de lo construido fue equivalente a 1 759 000 pesos. Este coste fue cubierto en gran parte por los reyes de España Felipe II, Felipe III, Felipe IV y Carlos II. A lo largo de los años se agregarían anexos al núcleo central del edificio el Colegio del Seminario, la Capilla de las ánimas y los edificios del Tabernáculo y la Curia.

En 1675 se completó la parte central de la fachada principal, obra del arquitecto Cristóbal de Medina Vargas, que incluía la figura de la Asunción de María, advocación a la que está dedicada la catedral, y las esculturas de Santiago el mayor y San Andrés custodiando. Durante el resto del siglo XVII se construye el primer cuerpo de la torre oriental, obra de los arquitectos Juan Lozano y Juan Serrano. The main cover of the building and those of the east side were built in 1688 and that of the west in 1689. The six buttresses that support the structure by the side of its main facade and the botareles that support the vaults of the main nave were completed. During the eighteenth century little was done to advance in the term of the construction of the Cathedral largely because, already concluded inside and useful for all the ceremonies that were offered, there was no urgent need to continue working on what was missing.

Although the work had been suspended in fact, some works inside continued by 1737 he was a major teacher Domingo de Arrieta. He made, in the company of José Eduardo de Herrera, architecture teacher, the stands surrounding the choir. In 1742 Manuel de Álvarez, architecture teacher, ruled with the same Herrera about the presbytery project presented by Jerónimo de Balbás.

In 1752, on September 17, a cross of iron was placed on the crown of the dome of this Church, of more than three rods, with its weather vane, engraved on either side of the Sanctus Deus prayer, and in the middle of it an oval of a quarter, in which Agnus wax with its stained glass window was placed on the one hand and on the other side a sheet in which Mrs. Santa Prisca, a lawyer for lightning, was sculpted. The spike of this cross is of two rods and all its weight of fourteen arrobas he stuck himself in a stone base.

In 1787, the architect José Damián Ortiz de Castro was appointed, after a contest in which the projects of José Joaquín de Torres and Isidro Vicente de Balbás were imposed, to direct the construction works of the bell towers, the main facade and the Dome. For the construction of the towers, the Mexican architect Ortiz de Castro designed a project to make them effective against earthquakes a second body that seems openwork and a bell-shaped auction. His direction in the project continued until his death in 1793. Moment in which he was replaced by Manuel Tolsá, architect and sculptor driving the Neoclassical, who arrived in the country in 1791. Tolsa is responsible for completing the work of the cathedral. Rebuild the dome that was low and disproportionate, design a project that consists of opening a larger ring on which builds a circular platform, to raise a much higher lantern from there. Integra the flames, statues and balustrades. Crown the facade with figures that symbolize the three theological virtues (Faith, hope and charity).

The cathedral in independent Mexico
Once the independence of Mexico was concluded, the cathedral was soon the scene of important chapters in the history of the new country. Being the main religious center and seat of ecclesiastical power, it was part of different events that involved the public life of independent Mexico.

The 21 of July of 1822 the coronation ceremony was held Agustin de Iturbide as Emperor of Mexico. Early twenty-four canyons sounded, balconies were adorned and the facades of public buildings were adorned, as well as atriums and church portals. Two thrones were placed in the cathedral, the main one next to the presbyter and the minor one near the choir. Shortly before nine o’clock in the morning, the members of Congress and the City Council occupied their destined places. Troops of cavalry and infantry made fence to the future emperor and his entourage. Three bishops officiated mass. The president of the Congress, Rafael Mangino, was in charge of placing the crown on Agustín I, then the emperor himself wrapped the crown to the empress. Other badges were imposed on the newly crowned by generals and bridesmaids, Bishop Juan Cruz Ruiz de Cabañas y Crespo exclaimed Vivat Imperator in aeternum! “Long live the emperor and the empress!” After the ceremony, the ringing of the bells and the crash of the cannons informed the people that the coronation had been accomplished.

In 1825 the heads of Miguel Hidalgo, Ignacio Allende, Juan Aldama and Mariano Jiménez, rescued and sheltered after having hung in front of the Alhóndiga de Granaditas in Guanajuato, were transferred from the Parish of Santo Domingo to the Metropolitan Cathedral in a solemn procession. The march of the skulls protected in an urn covered with black velvet was accompanied by the ringing of the bells, the voices of the Cabildo Choir and the brotherhoods that were then responsible for the chapels of the Cathedral. Months before, those same skulls hung in front of the Alhondiga and now the archbishopPedro José de Fonte and Hernández Miravete gave authorization that the Jubilee Gate of the enclosure be opened wide to receive the so-called ‘heroes’ of Independence.

The remains of José María Morelos, Francisco Javier Mina, Mariano Matamoros and Hermenegildo Galeana were also received. The remains were placed in the Crypt of the Archbishops and Viceroys and at that time it was written: “To the honorable remains of the magnanimous and impertérritos caudillos, parents of Mexican freedom, and victims of perfidy and nepotism, the crying homeland and grateful erected this public monument ”.

However, there they did not stay long around 1885, by orders of then President Porfirio Díaz Mori, the remains were taken from the Cathedral and then, again, were taken in procession to the cathedral grounds, but this time, the procession was headed by the President of the Republic, City Hall Ministers and Secretaries, civil authorities, popular organizations, Mexican flags and lay banners that reflected the character of the time. Once again, the Jubilee Gate saw the heroes of the Fatherland parade, although this time without Morelos.

Then they were placed in the Chapel of San José, and there they were about forty years until in 1925 they left the Cathedral to be placed at the base of the Column of the Angel of Independence on Paseo de la Reforma. The Mexican government did not take the body, however, of Agustín de Iturbide, who remains in the Chapel of San Felipe de Jesús.

Being Archbishop of Mexico José Lázaro de la Garza y Ballesteros, he pronounced against the Reform Laws contained in the Constitution of 1857. In March 1857, he declared during a sermon that the new laws were “hostile to the Church.” On April 17, he sent a circular to all the priests of his diocese “preventing the faithful who had sworn the constitution from being acquitted without prior public retraction.” His position was heard by many employees who refused to swear the Magna Carta, who were dismissed from their posts by the Mexican government. In different parts of the country, different pronouncements and armed uprisings were carried out under the cry of “Religion and fueros”.

Consequently, Mexican society was divided into two factions. The liberals who supported the reforms to the Constitution and the conservatives who detracted it by supporting the clergy. The War of Reform broke out in the Mexican territory, establishing two governments. On the one hand the Constitutional in charge of Benito Juárez and promulgated by a Board of the Conservative Party under the command of Félix María Zuloaga. The 23 of January of 1858 the Conservative government was formally established, the liberal government had to escape from the capital. The Archbishop officiated a mass in the Cathedral and to celebrate the event theTe deum. On February 12, De la Garza sent a letter to the interim president Zuloaga to congratulate his government officially and give him his support.

During much of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, a number of different factors influenced a partial loss of his artistic heritage The natural deterioration of time was added, the generational changes in taste, fires, thefts, but also the lack of a regulatory framework and an awareness for the conservation of the property and its properties, of course, both by the authorities ecclesiastical as governmental. In this way both entities made use of artistic treasures to solve the consequences of political and economic instability in the country. For example, silver lamps and music stands, as well as gold vessels and other jewels were melted to finance the wars of the mid-19th century. The change in artistic fashion also influenced when the main altar of the 17th century was replaced with aBaroque cypress in the 18th century made by Jerónimo de Balbás which was replaced by Lorenzo de la Hidalga’s neoclassical style and removed to improve the visibility of the Altar of the Kings in 1943.

The December to June of 1864 was part of the lavish reception in Mexico City of the emperors Maximilian of Hapsburg and Carlota Amalia, who attended a Mass of thanksgiving in the building that day.

As part of the series of events that led to the unleashing of the Cristero War, on February 4, 1926, a protest was published in the newspaper El Universal declared by Archbishop José Mora y del Río nine years earlier against the new Constitution, but the note was presented as new news, that is, as if it were a recent statement. On the orders of President Calles – who considered the declaration a challenge to the Government – Mora y del Río was consigned to the Attorney General’s Officeand stopped several temples were closed, among them the same Cathedral and the foreign priests were expelled. Constitutional article 130 was regulated as the Law of Cults (better known as the Streets Law ), religious schools were closed and the number of priests was limited so that only one officiated for every six thousand inhabitants. On June 21, 1929, during the presidency of Emilio Portes Gil, the Church and the Government signed the arrangements that put an end to the hostilities in the Mexican territory, with which the premises were reopened.

The 26 of January of 1979 received for the first time in history the visit, a high priest of the Catholic Church, the Pope John Paul II, who in the midst of a rally, offered a historic mass in which would give one of his you celebrate phrases: Mexico always faithful! be until the 13 of February of 2016 that would succeed another visit by a maximum Catholic leader, when Pope Francis attended a meeting with all the bishops of the dioceses of Mexico.

The night of the 15 of September of 2010 was one of the main scenes of the celebrations of the bicentennial a multimedia show of images and sound projected on its main facade, accompanied by fireworks, was the closing of the main events in the capital Zócalo.

1967 fire
On January 17, 1967, a short circuit generated a major fire in the cathedral. On the altar of forgiveness, part of the structure and decoration was lost, as well as the paintings La Santa Faz by Alonso López de Herrera, El Martirio de San Sebastián by Francisco de Zumaya and La Virgen del Perdón by Simon Pereyns. In the choir, 75 of his 99 seats, a painting by Juan Correa and many books that were in it were lost. The two organs of the cathedral were very damaged by partially melting their tubes. In other parts of the cathedral, outstanding paintings by Rafael Ximeno y Planes, Juan Correa andJuan Rodriguez Juarez. Four years after the fire, in 1972, the restoration works of the cathedral began, to restore its original appearance.

The altars of forgiveness and kings were cleansed and restored. In the Altar of Forgiveness, several paintings were added that replaced the burned ones, The Escape from Egypt, The Divine Face and The Martyrdom of Saint Sebastian, all works by Pereyns. In addition, 51 paintings were found, works by Nicolás and Juan Rodríguez Juárez, Miguel Cabrera and José de Ibarra, hidden behind the altar. The organs were dismantled and sent to the Netherlands where they were repaired in a process that lasted until 1977. Inside one of the bodies was found a copy of 1529 of the appointment of Hernán Cortés as governor of New Spain. The choir was rebuilt in 1979. Outside, some of the statues were repaired or replaced by replicas due to the damage they presented to the contamination. On the wall of the central arch of the cathedral he was found the tomb of President Miguel Barragan.

Restoration
The construction of the cathedral on unstable ground led to problems since the beginning of the works. The cathedral, along with the rest of the city, sinks into the lake bed since the beginning of its construction. This process accelerated due to the overexploitation of underground aquifers by the huge population that lives there. This fact caused the sinking to different rhythms in different sections of the cathedral, thus, the bell towers, presented a dangerous inclination in the 1970s. In 1990, work began to stabilize the cathedral, although it was built on a solid base, This was located in turn on a soft clay soil that was a threat to its structural integrity, since a subsidence was suffered on the lower water tables, causing damage to the structure. Therefore, the cathedral was included in the World Monuments Fund as one of the hundred sites at greatest risk. After the stabilization and completion of the works, the cathedral was removed from that list in 2000. Between 1993 and 1998, work was carried out that helped stabilize the building. Wells were excavated under the cathedral and concrete shafts were placed that provided a stronger base for the building. This did not stop the sinking but it does ensure that it is uniform. In addition, the inclination of the towers was corrected.

Along with the structural rescue of the building, remodeling, conditioning and rescue work was also initiated inside the architectural complex, with the Altar de los Reyes standing out, which was carried out in collaboration with the government of Spain.

Manuel Tolsá
Manuel Tolsá y Sarrión, was born in Enguera, Valencia, on May 4, 1757. He was a well-known Spanish architect and sculptor, active in New Spain (today Mexico) between 1791 and 1825, where he served as Director of Sculpture of the Academy from San Carlos.

He studied in Valencia at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Carlos and at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando in Madrid. He was a disciple of Ribelles, Gascó and Gilabert in architecture. He was a sculptor of the king’s chamber, minister of the Board of Commerce, Currency and Mines and academic in San Fernando. He arrived in New Spain in 1791 with books, work instruments and copies of classical sculptures of the Vatican Museum. He married nuptials with María Luisa de Sanz Téllez Girón and Espinosa in the port of Veracruz.

Upon arrival, the city council commissioned him to supervise the drainage and water supply works of Mexico City and the reforestation of the Alameda Central. For these services he received no compensation. Then he dedicated himself to the different artistic and civil works for which he remembers. In addition, he made furniture, melted cannons, opened a bathhouse and a car factory and installed a ceramic oven. He died from a gastric ulcer, in Las Lagunas, Oaxaca, on December 25, 1816. He was buried in the pantheon of the Oaxaca temple.

Works by Manuel Tolsá in Mexico

Conclusion of the works of the Metropolitan Cathedral of Mexico City.
Palace of Mining.
Equestrian statue of Carlos IV “El Caballito”.
Former Palace of Buenavista (now the National Museum of San Carlos).
Palace of the Marquis del Apartado. In front of the main temple.
Main altar of the Cathedral of Puebla
Main altar of the church of Santo Domingo.
Main altar of the church of La Profesa.
Altar of the Immaculate Conception in the church of La Profesa.
Bust of Hernán Cortés at the Hospital de Jesús.
Bronze Christs found in the Morelia Cathedral.
Projection of the fourth stage (neoclassical) of the Loreto church.
Hospicio Cabañas plans in Guadalajara.
Marquise de Selva Nevada cell in the former convent of Regina Porta Coeli. Today owned by the University of the Cloister of Sor Juana.

Tolsá has as a seal, the placement of balustrades at the end of the buildings where he worked.

The Cathedral of Mexico and Tolsá
Seat and chair of the bishop, the Cathedral is one of the most important buildings in sociological terms since it represents religious authority in New Spain, and one of the main reasons to justify the conquest of the country. On the other hand, it shows the temporary wealth of the clergy throughout the colonial era.

The primitive Cathedral was in the southwest corner of the current atrium. It was small, simple, with a wooden structure. Cortés laid the first stone. But the current Cathedral is the work of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, mainly, but also the fourteenth. All the styles of the Colony are reflected in this work. Infinite architects, important and mediocre, intervened in his works (with the fire of January 1967, this intervention has been prolonged). Some advocated contemporary restoration – modifying some elements – and others wanted the identical restitution of the choir, stalls and damaged parts. The latter was what was done.

The Cathedral is huge: it is more than 100 meters long and 60 meters wide, the towers reach the height of 64 meters. It has five naves: the two lateral ones, with terraced altars, in which mass is celebrated, and the two processional ones, around the central one, closed by the huge choir, with an altar in the transept that was covered by the baroque cypress churrigueresque of Gerónimo de Balbas, already destroyed, and later of the neoclassical cypress of the architect Lorenzo de la Hidalga, of magnificent invoice, in spite of what the critics say, also destroyed, without any fuss of the clergy and historians.

The Veracruz architect Damián Ortiz de Castro was the major master of the works upon the arrival of Tolsá in Mexico. This architect had finished the very original and well-proportioned towers, the dome drum and various interior works.

When Ortiz de Castro died, he inherited the title and position of Don Manuel Tolsá in 1793, that is, three years after his arrival in Mexico. Fact that confirms the importance at that time of being peninsular Spanish, regardless of the desires of our artist.

Tolsá receives the Cathedral in its last stage of construction, and finishes it splendidly. It gives the work “an aspect of something complete, complete,” says Manuel Toussaint.

The Valencian architect, with great talent, realizes the state of the work, its diversity of styles and the relatively ungrateful problem of intervening in something almost finished. But it demonstrates here its enormous power of observation and its spatial understanding, since the body is solid, and it would be heavy if it were not for the great width of the church. On the other hand, the huge towers almost “eat” the whole. It was therefore necessary to underline the entry, especially that the work is symmetrical in its forms.

On the main facade it places a huge volume so that it reaches the height of the starting of the towers, and with it it manages to give unity to the main facade towards the Zócalo, as well as to remove rigidity when crowning it with three large sculptures and perfect proportion with the set, given the great height of the clock, after calculating the points from where they look. This is pure baroque.

In addition, it unifies facades, towers and buttresses by means of the unifying harmonic theme of the balustrades, which is repeated at the top, length and width of the entire Cathedral. The buttresses have inverted brackets that link the lower and middle part of the Cathedral. In the towers he continues to repeat his spatial theme: the balustrades and walls that support the florons to insist even more on the importance of the balustrade, but also underline the supporting structure.

These flowers show their respect for the previous structure, and not as we have wanted to see, something ostentatious or simply ornamental the positive thing is that it underlines the structural rhythm and gives relevance to the balustrades, which serve – as everyone recognizes – to grant unity to the group in which many architects had intervened during two hundred years of work.

The dome will be its great auction, since when raising the volume of the clock it was hidden and the clarity of the party was hidden or obscured: a T-shaped Latin cross plant, that is to say as the Christian cross, which has a greater arm than The one who crosses it.

The drum and dome projected by Damián Ortiz de Castro were correct, but with the increase of the clock, Tolsá warns that it is necessary to give the dome greater relevance: it is attached in stone half pilasters and frames the windows with Ionic columns that ends with very prominent pediments. With this he manages to give breadth to the dome, which seen from afar looks like a magnificent crown of the temple.

We would like to add that the recent stained glass windows by sculptor Mathias Goeritz in the windows of the Cathedral are excellent, in color and shape, and perhaps they should continue in the lantern.

The sculptures of the clock are works by Manuel Tolsá, perfectly proportioned to the architecture and with a very good baroque invoice.

In all the work the Tolsá baroque championship advances and setbacks of space, be pediments and columns of the dome Be it your ornamentation: the delightful repetition of flowers and boards is enriched with bulk sculptures and floral motifs.

Manuel Toussaint
He was born in Puebla on May 29, 1890. When he had just folded the cape, blue and gold, of the good hope that they are 30 years old, he was already learned in several disciplines He had since then a vague, an indefinable sadness. His joys were like mist-shrouded, slight evening haze.

Manuel Toussaint is a gentleman of good and chosen garments rested, calm and in all extended its softness. He preferred accuracy more than broken or tortuous lines He was a friend of the clear and simple, of sober wealth. It was a neoclassical spirit. But although seated and of judgment, he had a restless and boisterous understanding and thus has an emotion wave before things, he embedded in them the heart and later described them with ideality, with delicate love.

Of great intellectual activity, there were no lazy breaks, but always he was busy between manuscripts and books and stirring ideas I was already daily with the pen on paper composing essays, or stories, or serious studies of history and this is how the ingenuity was polished by the exercise and became one of our avant-garde writers. He knew how to put his restlessness between the dust and the moths of mamotretos and infolios from where he was taking with exquisite tino kind and beautiful things. In his hands the document loses its curial coldness and makes it enjoyable.

The generous task of going through those peoples of God, diverted from all dealings and commerce with the big cities, and having such beautiful names as if they belonged to the spiritual geography of an artist writer was given for years villages that seem to be out of time, in which life was stopped, as full of stupor, in the midst of the lights of the century, looking only towards the past with a long talk of nostalgia. And after these wanderings, he counts on a clean and flexible prose, of the abandoned churches, of the illustrious sanctuaries, of the great colonial mansions, of the convents in which humble servants of God and tall men lived, of the hermitages, humiliators and reposorios, of the old paintings that already put their colors in the transparent darkness of the patinas,

It should be noted that Toussaint in 1934 founded the Art Laboratory of the UNAM, later called the Institute of Aesthetic Research (IIE). He is the author of a magnificent and huge volume on a large folio, preciously illustrated, which contains the entire history of our great Cathedral, from the time he laid his first fundamental stone until Tolsá ended it, with all its ornaments and the splendor of its numerous riches Fruit of its fruitful runs through Europe lands, is another volume, hallucinated trips, of value for the very pleasant that they enclose between their pages. He wrote with great knowledge, the history of painting in Mexico, a beautiful book with beautiful graphic information. It unravels an infinite number of problems that had remained insoluble until Manuel Toussaint laid hands on them with great scholarship and talent.

Cathedral chapel masters during the viceroyalty
During the entire viceregal period the cathedral had an intense and brilliant musical activity organized by its corresponding chapel masters. These had the obligation not only to organize the ecclesiastical musical life of the cathedral for all major festivities, but also to instruct the corresponding musicians, compose the necessary musical works and organize the musical archives. The result of this constant activity is a delicious musical archive that competes in America with the splendid musical archive of the cathedral of Puebla, that of the Basilica of Guadalupe or the musical archives preserved in Cuzco or Chuquisaca. None of all these music files has been thoroughly studied and most of that music remains unpublished. Unfortunately, there is no contemporary attempt to continue the musical tradition of the Latin American cathedrals by playing the preserved collection or hiring composers who write new works. The chapel masters of the cathedral of Mexico of which works are mostly preserved in the cathedral archive were:

Juan Xuárez (1538-1556)
Lázaro del Álamo (1556-1570)
Juan de Victoria (1570-575)
Hernando Franco (1575-1585)
Juan Hernández (1586-1618)
Antonio Rodríguez de Mata (1619-1648)
Fabian Ximeno (1648-1654)
Francisco López y Capillas (1654-1673)
Hyacinth of the Vega Francisco Ponce (1673-h. 1676)
Joseph de Loaysa and Agurto (h. 1676-1688)
Antonio de Salazar (1688-1715)
Manuel de Sumaya (1715-1739)
Domingo Dutra and Andrade (1741-1750)
Ignatius of Jerusalem and Stella (1750-1769)
Mateo Tollis della Rocca (1769-1780)
Martín Bernárdez Rivera (1781-1791)
Antonio de Juanas (1791-1814)
Vicente Gómez Matheo Manterola (1815-1818?)
José María Bustamante and Eduardo Campuzano (1818-1821?)
José Mariano Elízaga (1822)

The musical archive of the cathedral of Mexico is one of the largest in America It has a collection of more than 5000 works, covering from the sixteenth to the twentieth century, in various formats such as choir books, religious music, profane and musical treatises.


Washington National Cathedral

Nuestros editores revisarán lo que ha enviado y determinarán si deben revisar el artículo.

Washington National Cathedral, también llamado Washington Cathedral, officially Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, in Washington, D.C., Episcopal cathedral chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1893 and established on Mount St. Alban (the highest point in the city) in 1907. Its cornerstone was laid by President Theodore Roosevelt. Although construction slowed during periods of economic hardship and stopped altogether during 1977–80, the building was completed in 1990.

Designed and constructed in the 14th-century English Gothic style, the edifice was also built without the use of steel support in a centuries-old manner—using artists, sculptors, and stone masons. Radiant heating in the stone floor is one of its few concessions to modernity. The cathedral is built in the shape of a cross, its length extending some 530 feet (160 metres), and can seat about 4,000 in the United States it is second in size only to New York City’s Cathedral of St. John the Divine (still uncompleted).

This article was most recently revised and updated by Amy Tikkanen, Corrections Manager.


Nuestra historia

San Fernando Cathedral has always been at the center of San Antonio. It is a special place that occupies a unique position in this city and for the many visitors who come by the thousands every year.

San Fernando Cathedral was founded on March 9, 1731 by a group of 15 families who came from the Canary Islands at the invitation of King Phillip V of Spain and is the oldest, continuously functioning religious community in the State of Texas. This church was planned to be at the center of the life of this city. The Cathedral building has the added distinction of being the oldest standing church building in Texas, and for all of its more than 281 years, has been serving the people of the Archdiocese and San Antonio. For almost 95 years, San Fernando served as the church for all of the religious denominations of San Antonio as the Catholic Church was the only recognized religion of the Spanish and Mexican governments prior to Texas' independence. San Fernando has become more than the geographic center it has become an ecumenical, cultural, civic, and service center of unity and harmony for all the God-loving people of San Antonio and beyond. San Fernando serves as a refuge for many of the poor in this area who come for help and trust their needs will be met. As the first church in the city, San Fernando has a rich history of responding to the people's needs in and around the church.

Over 5,000 participate at weekend Masses each week of the year. Over 900 baptisms, 100 weddings, 100 funerals, and countless other services are performed each year. Symphonies, concerts, and television specials are but a few of the special events held in the cathedral regularly. Hundreds of people enter the church daily to pray, visit, light a candle, or follow various devotional traditions. Tour buses arrive constantly. Each person is a part of the story of this magnificent place and a tribute to its enduring presence as the spiritual center of San Antonio.


The Year of Calamity

A fire on March 21, 1788, started when a candle ignited the lace draperies of an altar in the home of the military treasurer of the colony, Vincente Jose Nunez, on Chartres Street. Among the buildings burned to the ground were the Church of St. Louis, the priests' residence, and the Casa Principal, which housed the Cabildo.

In a letter written on March 28, 1788, Father Antonio de Sedella (Pere Antoine), who was pastor of the church, described the rapidity with which the fire made headway. He wrote that he had sent some of the church records to the home of the tobacco director, "distant from the Presbytere about two rifle shots," but they were lost when that house caught fire.

Nearly a year elapsed before the charred remains of the church were cleared away and construction of a new church began in early 1789. More than five years were to pass before the new church was completed in December, 1794.

The second Church of St. Louis was the gift of the wealthy Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, a native of Andalusia who had acquired numerous properties since his arrival in New Orleans in the wake of Governor Alejandro O'Reilly.

As Louisiana and the Floridas had been created a diocese in 1793, and Luis Pefialver y Cardenas appointed first bishop with New Orleans as his See city, the new church was dedicated as a Cathedral and put into service on Christmas Eve, 1794.

Shortly before the completion of the Cathedral, on April 25, 1793, the diocese of Louisiana and the Floridas was created by Pope Pius VI. Don Luis Ignacio Maria de Pefialver y Cardenas of Havana was appointed the first bishop.

He arrived in state in New Orleans in July, 1795 to take formal possession of his See and begin his episcopal duties.

In 1819 a New Orleans clockmaker, Jean Delachaux, was authorized by the trustees to obtain a suitable clock to be placed in the facade of the Cathedral.

As this was a project of general civic interest, the City Council agreed to the expense of buying the clock and its bell and also to share in the cost of erecting a central tower to house them. Delachaux brought the clock and bell with him from Paris and Latrobe records in his journal an incident which occurred when he was about to place the clock's bell in the tower:

This bell, which still rings out the hours from above the church's clock, is inscribed in French: Braves Louisianais, cette cloche dont le nom est Victoire a été fondue en mémoire de la glorieuse journée du 8 Janvier 1815. [Brave people of Louisiana, this clock, whose name is Victory, was cast in memory of the glorious 8 th of January, 1815]

Surmounting both inscriptions are American eagles and at the bottom of the bell an inscription reads: Fondue a Paris pour M. Jn. Delachaux de Nouvelle Orleans. [Cast in Paris for Mr. John Delachaux of New Orleans.]

The central tower, which added grace and dignity to the Cathedral, was one of Latrobe's last projects, for he died in New Orleans of yellow fever on September 3,1820, before it was completed.

In 1829 an organ was imported and in 1825 Francisco Zapari, an Italian painter, was employed at a fee of $1,855 to decorate the interior of the church and its three altars.

On January 22, 1829, the well-beloved Pere Antoine was laid to rest in the church after a funeral service which was one of the largest ever seen in the city. For more than 40 years, this remarkable Capuchin priest had labored in New Orleans he had been pastor of the Cathedral from 1785 to 1790 and again from 1795 to the time of his death at the age of 81. For three days after his passing, the body of Pere Antoine was laid out in the Cathedral rectory and thousands came to pay homage. On the day of the funeral, the firing of a cannon announced the beginning of the ceremonies. The coffin was carried on the shoulders of four young men who were surrounded by eight honorary pallbearers, all friends of the deceased.

On January 8, 1840, Andrew Jackson returned to the scene of his triumph against the British twenty-five years earlier. He went to the St. Louis Cathedral where an oration was given in his honor. After this ceremony, he conducted a military review in the Place d'Armes.

After a week of continual entertainment, Jackson returned to the Place d'Armes on January 14 to lay the cornerstone of the monument which the square today. There was the usual parade and a large crowd to watch the proceedings.
Bishop Antoine Blanc, in full pontifical, received the General.

Another joyful occasion in which the Cathedral played a part was the visit in December, 1847, of a hero of the Mexican War, Zachary Taylor, whose victory at Monterey would send him to the White House. After the service, the crowds cheered with joy as the old General rode his battle horse, Old Whitey, through the city to the St. Charles Hotel.

De Poulily's drawing of the facade of the new St. Louis Cathedral. This elevation was designed In July 1847 and became part of the contract with the trustees, March 1849. Design was later slightly modified. (N.O. Notarial Archives)

In 1844, the Baroness Pontalba, through her New Orleans agents, presented to the Council for the First Municipality a project to construct a two-story arcaded facade in front of the old buildings bordering both sides of the Place d'Armes, buildings she had inherited from her father, Don Andres Almonester. Two years later, this remarkable woman again submitted and had approved by the Council elaborate plans, prepared under her personal supervision, which called for remodeling her buildings with arcades similar to those of the Cabildo and Presbytere, and also for extensive improvements to the square itself, to create a bit of Paris for her native city.

These additions so increased the size of the two flanking buildings that something had to be done to the Cathedral to bring it to proper scale. Besides, the church was old, its walls were cracking, and it was too small for the congregation of the growing city.

As far back as 1834 the trustees had consulted with J. N. B. de Pouilly, the French architect. De Pouilly had suggested lengthening the church and adding galleries but he was not very optimistic that even these changes would enlarge the church sufficiently to fit the needs of the growing congregation.

A contract was made on March 12,1849, with an Irish builder, John Patrick Kirwan, "for the restoration of the Cathedral of St. Louis." De Pouilly's original specifications, which became part of the contract, called for a reconstruction that left intact only the lateral walls and the lower part of the front and the flanking hexagonal towers of the old church. But as construction proceeded, it became evident that the side walls, too, would have to be demolished.

During construction, the central clock and bell tower collapsed. This calamitous incident caused damage estimated as high as $20,000. In the months that followed, inspections by experts sought to determine the cause of the collapse, and proposals and counter-proposals between trustees and builder culminated in the trustees ordering Kirwan to quit the job. De Pouilly, the architect, was also dismissed and the trustees employed another architect.


Stavanger Cathedral: A Spiritual Monument for the Ages

Late Viking Age farming and fishing villages had started to abandon their traditional mythological concepts in favor of Christianity as early as the 10 th century AD. The decision to build the new church on top of an older settlement likely met with the approval of the entire community, which would have seen the awe-inspiring structure as a fitting tribute to their newly embraced spiritual belief system.

Throughout its existence, the cathedral has been critically important to the people of Stavanger. When the original wooden church was completely destroyed by fire in 1272, they rebuilt it with stone to make sure the new edifice would last for millennia. The Stavanger Cathedral has been in continuous use for nine centuries, and instead of being torn down it was repurposed from a Catholic to a Protestant house of worship when the city experienced the changes of the Reformation .

The city of Stavanger dates its founding to 1125, choosing that year to represent the time when the church was completed. Their determination to renovate the church to keep it functional is an impressive testament to the cathedral’s ongoing importance to the community.

Top image: Archaeological excavations in the basement levels of Stavanger Cathedral that yielded evidence of an older Viking settlement below the church cellars. Source: Kristine Ødeby / NIKU

Nathan

Nathan Falde graduated from American Public University in 2010 with a Bachelors Degree in History, and has a long-standing fascination with ancient history, historical mysteries, mythology, astronomy and esoteric topics of all types. He is a full-time freelance writer from. Lee mas


Ver el vídeo: Starship - We Built This City Official Music Video (Diciembre 2021).