Podcasts de historia

Boeing P-12

Boeing P-12

Boeing P-12

El Boeing P-12 era la versión del Ejército de los EE. UU. Del F4B de la Armada, y fue parte de la última generación de cazas biplanos en entrar en servicio.

En 1928, Boeing desarrolló dos prototipos de caza similares, el Modelo 83 y el Modelo 89. Los dos aviones utilizaron métodos de construcción tradicionales, con una estructura de tubo de aluminio atornillado para el fuselaje trasero y una estructura de madera para las alas, ambas cubiertas con tela. El modelo 83 y los aviones de producción temprana usaban tubos de acero para la sección central y el área del motor. Fueron propulsados ​​por un motor radial Pratt & Whitney. Tenían igual acorde, alas de envergadura desigual, sin barrido hacia atrás (un cambio con respecto a la generación anterior de cazas biplanos Boeing). El ala superior se construyó en una sola pieza, el ala inferior en dos mitades que luego se atornillaron.

La principal diferencia entre los dos diseños estaba en el tren de aterrizaje: el modelo 83 tenía un tren de aterrizaje con barra separadora y un engranaje de detención, el modelo 89 tenía un tren de aterrizaje de eje dividido. El Modelo 89 también podría llevar una bomba de 600 libras debajo del fuselaje.

El Modelo 83 realizó su primer vuelo el 25 de junio de 1928 y fue a la Armada el 28 de junio de 1928. El Modelo 89 fue a Anacostia por ferrocarril y realizó su primer vuelo en manos de la Marina el 7 de agosto de 1928.

Ambos modelos fueron probados por la Armada, mientras que el Ejército examinó el Modelo 89 (el Campo Bolling del Ejército limitaba con la base de la Armada en Anacostia). El Ejército quedó lo suficientemente impresionado como para realizar un pedido de diez P-12 (Modelo 102).

Finalmente, el Ejército recibió 366 P-12: nueve P-12, un XP-12A, 90 P-12B, 95 P-12C, 36 P-12D, 110 P-12E y 25 P-12F. Por lo tanto, el Ejército era el cliente más importante para la familia P-12 / F4B, ya que llevaba casi el doble de aviones que la Armada.

Registro de servicio

El P-12 vio un servicio generalizado con USAAC. En los Estados Unidos continentales fue utilizado por el 1º, 8º, 17º y 20º Grupos de Persecución, así como por varias unidades de entrenamiento. El 16º Grupo de Persecución fue el principal usuario de la Zona del Canal de Panamá. En Hawái, el 5º grupo compuesto y el 18º grupo de persecución utilizaron el tipo. Finalmente, el 3er Escuadrón de Persecución operó el P-12 en Filipinas.

El primer grupo de persecución operó el P-12 desde Selfridge Field, Michigan. Los tres de sus escuadrones recibieron el tipo en 1930. Los Escuadrones de Persecución 17 y 94 lo mantuvieron hasta 1932, el 27 hasta 1934.

El 8º Grupo de Persecución en Langley Field, Virginia, recibió el P-12 en 1932. El 33º Escuadrón de Persecución lo mantuvo hasta 1935, los escuadrones 35º y 36º hasta 1936.

El 17º Grupo de Persecución en March Field, California, recibió el P-12 en 1931. Se convirtió en el P-26 en 1934 pero luego se decidió convertirlo en un grupo de ataque. Los Escuadrones de Persecución 34, 73 y 95 entregaron los P-26 al 20 Grupo de Persecución y volvieron al P-12 por otro año antes de que sus aviones de ataque estuvieran listos.

El 20º Grupo de Persecución (Escuadrones de Persecución 55 y 77) operó el P-12 desde 1930, cuando tenía su base en Mather Field, California. En 1932 se trasladó a Barksdale, Louisiana, donde ganó un tercer escuadrón P-12, el 79º. Los tres conservaron el P-12 hasta 1935.

El P-12 también fue utilizado por un destacamento en Bolling Field, por el 43 ° Escuadrón de Persecución, Escuela Avanzada de Vuelo del Cuerpo Aéreo en Kelly Field, Texas desde 1932-36 y por el 48 ° Escuadrón de Persecución, Escuela Técnica del Cuerpo Aéreo en Chanute Field, Ill de 1935 a 1936).

La primera unidad en recibir el P-12 en la Zona del Canal de Panamá fue el Escuadrón de Persecución 24 (Sexto Grupo Compuesto) en 1930. Este escuadrón luego se unió al Grupo de Persecución 16, donde se unió a los Escuadrones de Persecución 29 y 78, ambos equipados con el P-12. El 78 perdió sus P-12 en 1936, pero los otros dos escuadrones los mantuvieron hasta 1939.

En Hawai, el P-12 fue utilizado por el quinto grupo compuesto. Fue uno de los muchos tipos utilizados por el 4º Escuadrón de Observación (entonces Reconocimiento) en c.1929-1937 y luego el 58º Escuadrón de Observación (c.1936-38). El P-12 también fue utilizado por los Escuadrones de Persecución 6 y 19, ambos del Grupo de Persecución 18, de 1931 a 1938.

Finalmente, el 3er Escuadrón de Persecución usó el P-12 en las Filipinas desde c. 1930-1937, como parte del 1er y luego 4º Grupo de Observación.

Cuando el P-12 entró en servicio, tenía un techo de servicio significativamente más alto que los cazas estadounidenses anteriores. El 13 de diciembre de 1929, el segundo teniente Norman H. Ives del 95. ° Escuadrón de Persecución estableció un récord de altitud para un avión de combate con una carga militar completa de 30.000 pies, solo para ser derrotado por su colega el segundo teniente George E. Price, quien alcanzó los 31.200 pies. poco después. El grupo también practicó el vuelo en formación a gran altura.

El P-12 participó en las maniobras aéreas de 1931, formando parte de un ala de persecución compuesta (130 P-12, 58 P-1 y 17 P-6), durante una serie de demostraciones en los Estados Unidos.

El 94 ° Escuadrón de Persecución del 1. ° Grupo de Persecución utilizó sus P-12 para experimentos de interceptación a gran altitud, incluido un vuelo en octubre de 1931 diseñado para probar cuánto tiempo tomaría alcanzar un objetivo a 100 millas de distancia, otro a 20,000 pies y de largo. vuelos de distancia.

En 1932, al final del plan de expansión de 5 años del Ejército de EE. UU., El P-12E y el P-12F eran dos de los tres tipos de caza que el Cuerpo Aéreo designó como 'estándar', o adecuados para el servicio de primera línea (junto con el Curtiss P-6E).

En 1933, el P-12 comenzaba a ser abandonado por aviones más modernos. Durante los ejercicios de mayo, un grupo de P-12 intentó interceptar una formación de bombarderos Douglas B-7, pero simplemente fueron superados. Los P-12 también se utilizaron en algunos ejercicios de lucha nocturna, pero sin éxito.

En 1934, el Air Corps recibió la responsabilidad de transportar el correo aéreo. Al principio de la empresa, el P-12 se usó en rutas más cortas o en rutas con poco correo, pero no eran realmente adecuados para la tarea y pronto fueron reemplazados por varios aviones de observación.

El P-12 también fue un excelente avión acrobático. Era el equipo de 'Three Men on a Flying Trapeze', un equipo acrobático formado por la capitana Claire L. Channault que hizo su debut público en Miami en septiembre de 1934.

En el momento de los ejercicios aéreos de 1935, el P-12 ya no se veía como un avión moderno, y los grupos todavía equipados con él (8º Persecución y 17º Ataque) no participaron en la parte de combate de las maniobras.

La mayoría de los P-12E y P-12F supervivientes fueron puestos en tierra en 1941. Luego fueron al Cuerpo Aéreo y las escuelas de mecánicos, aunque 23 fueron a la Armada como F4B-4A.

Variantes

P-12 (Modelo 102)

Se ordenaron diez P-12, aunque solo 9 se completaron en ese formato. Tenían el tren de aterrizaje de eje dividido del Modelo 89, pero usaban un motor menos potente que el F4B-1 de la Marina: un Pratt & Whitney R-1340-7 de 450 CV. Como resultado, su velocidad máxima fue ligeramente más baja que la del F4B. Al igual que con el F4B-1, el P-12 se construyó con carenados individuales para los cilindros del motor. Tanto el P-12 como el F4B-1 usaban alerones cónicos.

El primer P-12 fue recibido por el Ejército en febrero de 1929 y voló desde Brownsville, Texas, a France Field en la Zona del Canal de Panamá, con el Capitán Ira C. Eaker a los mandos. El último de los nueve se entregó el 26 de abril de 1929.

XP-12A (modelo 101)

El décimo avión del pedido original se completó como el experimental XP-12A. Este tenía un motor R-1340-9 de 525 hp más potente, con una cubierta NACA de cuerda larga en lugar de las cubiertas de los cilindros individuales. Tenía alerones tipo Frise (diseñados para reducir el esfuerzo necesario para mover los controles a altas velocidades). El tren de aterrizaje principal tenía puntales más cortos, mientras que el patín de cola fijo se reemplazó por una unidad de rodamiento móvil. El XP-12A tuvo una vida corta y se perdió en una colisión en el aire el 18 de mayo de 1929 después de solo cuatro horas de vuelo, pero muchas de sus características se introdujeron en el P-12B y el F4B-2.

P-12B (Modelo 102B)

El P-12B fue la primera versión del avión que fue ordenada en grandes cantidades por USAAC. Se ordenaron noventa el 10 de junio de 1929, y el primer ejemplo realizó su vuelo inaugural el 12 de mayo de 1930. En ese momento, este fue el pedido más grande para un solo tipo de avión realizado por el Cuerpo Aéreo en tiempos de paz. El P-12B usó los alerones tipo Frise del XP-12A, pero no usó el carenado NACA. En su lugar, se construyeron sin carenados de cilindro y luego se les dio una cubierta de anillo después de entrar en servicio.

P-12C (Modelo 222)

En junio de 1930 se realizó un pedido de 131 P-12C. 95 de estos aviones se completaron como P-12C y los 36 restantes como P-12D. El P-12C usó un motor Pratt & Whitney R-1340-9 de 525 hp, fue construido con una cubierta de anillo y tenía un nuevo tren de aterrizaje principal con barra separadora en lugar del sistema de eje dividido de la aeronave más antigua. Los P-12C recibieron más tarde las superficies de cola verticales más grandes introducidas en el P-12E. El primer P-12C realizó su primer vuelo el 30 de enero de 1931. Más tarde se convirtieron en P-12D.

P-12D (Modelo 227)

Los últimos 36 aviones del pedido P-12D se completaron como P-12D, utilizando un motor Pratt & Whitney R-1340-17 de 525 CV. El primer P-12D hizo su primer vuelo el 2 de marzo de 1931. Los P-12D recibieron más tarde las superficies verticales de cola más grandes introducidas en el P-12E. Los 36 se entregaron entre el 25 de febrero y el 28 de abril de 1931.

P-12E (Modelo 234)

En 1930, Boeing produjo una nueva versión del P-12 / F4E, el Modelo 218. Se trataba de un avión de riesgo privado que presentaba un nuevo fuselaje metálico semi-monocasco y que se convirtió en la base del P-12E y el F4E-3. El único Modelo 218 realizó su primer vuelo el 29 de septiembre de 1930 y recibió la designación del Cuerpo Aéreo XP-925. Más tarde se vendió a China, donde se informó que fue derribado sobre Shanghai en 1932.

El Ejército de los EE. UU. Hizo un pedido de 135 aviones basados ​​en el Modelo 218 el 3 de marzo de 1931. Los primeros 110 de ellos se entregaron como P-12E (Modelo 234) entre el 19 de septiembre y el 15 de octubre de 1931, los 25 restantes como P- 12F. El primer P-12E realizó su primer vuelo el 15 de octubre de 1931, como XP-12E. El P-12E también tenía superficies de control verticales más grandes, que luego se instalaron en modelos más antiguos.

XP-12E

El XP-12E fue el primer P-12E. Se le dio la nueva designación el 1 de octubre de 1931 porque se estaba utilizando para trabajos de prueba. Este avión (31-553) se usó más tarde como uno de los siete YP-12K con motores de inyección de combustible y luego como el XP-12L turbo sobrealimentado antes de volver al estándar P-12E.
Designación temporal para un P-12E que se utiliza para pruebas de motor, luego vuelve al estándar P-12E.

P-12F

Los últimos veinticinco aviones del pedido P-12E se completaron como P-12F. Estaban propulsados ​​por un motor R-1340-19 que producía 600 CV en el despegue y 500 CV a 11.000 pies (frente a los 7.000 pies en el P-12E). La velocidad máxima aumentó en 5 mph, pero la velocidad de ascenso y el techo de servicio vieron mejoras más significativas. El último de los P-12F se utilizó para probar un dosel de cabina deslizante.

XP-12G (modelo 102B)

El primer P-12B se utilizó más tarde para probar un motor Pratt & Whitney R-1340G / H turbo sobrealimentado, que impulsaba una hélice de tres palas. En esta configuración, la aeronave recibió la designación XP-12G. Fue probado durante 1932 y luego convertido nuevamente en un P-12B estándar.

XP-12H

El 33 ° P-12D se utilizó para probar un motor Wasp con engranajes (XGRS-1340-E) con la designación XP-12H. El motor no fue un gran éxito y el avión se convirtió de nuevo al estándar P-12D en junio de 1932.

P-12J

El P-12J fue la designación dada a un solo P-12E cuando estaba equipado con un motor SR-1340-H de 575 hp. El mismo avión se convirtió más tarde en uno de los siete YP-12K, antes de volver al estándar P-12E.

YP-12K

El YP-12K fue la designación otorgada a siete aviones a los que se les dio un motor SR-1340E con inyección de combustible. Los siete aviones consistían en el P-12J, el XP-12E y cinco P-12E normales. Los siete finalmente volvieron al estándar P-12E en junio de 1938. En la brecha, el XP-12E también se usó como el XP-12L.

XP-12L

El XP-12L fue la designación dada a uno de los YP-12K (el XP-12E) cuando se le dio un turbocompresor F-7 para ir con el motor SR-1340E de inyección de combustible. La nueva designación fue asignada el 2 de enero de 1934. El avión se convirtió de nuevo al estándar YP-12K en febrero de 1937 y luego al estándar P-12E en junio de 1938.

Otros modelos

Modelo 100

El Modelo 100 era una versión civil del F4B-1 con todo el equipo militar eliminado. Se construyeron cuatro y tuvieron carreras variadas. El segundo se usó como banco de pruebas de motores en Pratt & Whitney y se usó con el R-985 Wasp Jr, el R-1535 Twin Wasp Jr y el R-1690 Hornet.

Modelo 100A

El único Modelo 100A era un descapotable biplaza construido para Howard Hughes y que sobrevivió hasta 1957.

Modelo 100D

No se construyó ningún avión con esta designación, pero se habría utilizado para cualquier versión de exportación del P-12D.

Modelo 100E

El Modelo 100E era equivalente al P-12E, pero debido a las restricciones del gobierno de EE. UU. No se podía usar el mismo número de modelo. Dos fueron exportados a Tailandia. Fueron entregados el 10 de noviembre de 1931. Uno fue tomado por los japoneses, sobrevivió a la Segunda Guerra Mundial y se convirtió en una exhibición en el Museo Aeronáutico de Tailandia en Bangkok.

Modelo 100F

El Modelo 100F era equivalente al P-12F. Uno fue construido para Pratt & Whitney, donde se usó como banco de pruebas de motores. La aeronave se perdió durante un vuelo de prueba a gran altitud después de que un peso que se había instalado para equilibrar la aeronave cuando se usaban diferentes motores se soltara y destruyera los controles.

Modelo 218

Se construyó un modelo 218. Tenía un fuselaje semi-monocasco de metal y era el prototipo del P-12E y F4B-3. Más tarde se exportó a China y probablemente se perdió en Shanghai en 1932.

Modelo 256

El Modelo 256 fue la designación de catorce aviones vendidos a Brasil en 1932. Fueron construidos utilizando los primeros catorce fuselajes del pedido F4B-4, pero sin el equipo naval. Fueron entregados a Brasil entre el 14 de septiembre y el 8 de octubre de 1932.

Modelo 267

El primer pedido brasileño fue seguido rápidamente por un segundo pedido de nueve aviones. Esto fue llenado por el Modelo 267, que tenía el fuselaje, la cola y el tren de aterrizaje del F4B-3 y las alas P-12E. Los nueve aviones se entregaron el 21 de febrero de 1933.

P-12
Motor: Pratt & Whitney R-1340-7
Poder: 450hp
Tripulación: 1
Alcance: 30 pies 0 pulgadas
Longitud: 20 pies 1 pulgada
Altura: 9 pies 7 pulgadas
Peso vacío: 1,758 lb
Peso cargado: 2,536 lb
Velocidad máxima: 171 mph a 5,000 pies, 158 mph al nivel del mar
Velocidad de crucero: 135 mph
Velocidad de ascenso: 2.080 pies / min
Armas: dos ametralladoras de 0,3 pulgadas

P-12B
Motor: Pratt & Whitney R-1340-7
Poder: 450hp
Tripulación: 1
Alcance: 30 pies 0 pulgadas
Longitud: 20 pies 3 pulgadas
Altura: 8 pies 10 pulgadas
Peso vacío: 1,945 lb
Peso cargado: 2,638 lb
Velocidad máxima: 166 mph a 5,000 pies, 157 mph al nivel del mar
Tasa de ascenso: 2.040 pies / min
Alcance: 540 millas
Armas: dos ametralladoras de 0,3 pulgadas

P-12D
Motor: Pratt & Whitney R-1340-77
Potencia: 525 CV
Tripulación: 1
Alcance: 30 pies 0 pulgadas
Longitud: 20 pies 3 pulgadas
Altura: 8 pies 8 pulgadas
Peso vacío: 1,956 lb
Peso cargado: 2,648 lb
Velocidad máxima: 188 mph a 7,000 pies
Velocidad de crucero: 163 mph
Alcance: 475 millas

P-12E
Motor: Pratt & Whitney R-1340-17
Potencia: 525 CV
Tripulación: 1
Alcance: 30 pies 0 pulgadas
Longitud: 20 pies 3 pulgadas
Altura: 9 pies 0 pulgadas
Peso vacío: 1,999 lb
Peso cargado: 2,690 lb
Velocidad máxima: 189 mph a 7,000 pies
Velocidad de crucero: 160 mph
Velocidad de ascenso: 5.8 minutos a 10,000 pies


Cazas clásicos estadounidenses: el Boeing P-12

En junio y agosto de 1928, Boeing voló su Modelo 83 y Modelo 89 prototipos de cazas de riesgo privado, y con las primeras incursiones de estas máquinas en el aire, se puede decir verdaderamente que el último capítulo en la historia de los cazas biplanos de EE. UU. había comenzado, porque con este tipo básico comenzó una serie de cazas increíblemente exitosa para los EE. UU. Army (P-12) y US Navy (F4B) junto con un número moderadamente grande de variantes de exportación que vieron el día del biplano. El desarrollo del tipo reflejó la preocupación de Boeing de que su posición como principal proveedor de aviones de combate terrestres y transportados por portaaviones estaba siendo erosionada por las nuevas generaciones de aviones de combate Curtiss, y fue esta amenaza la que convenció a la compañía de que su diseño representaba un riesgo financiero valioso. y construir un prototipo que podría suceder a los cazas actuales de Boeing, a saber, el PW-9 y el F2B / F3B que sirven en el Ejército de los EE. UU. y la Marina de los EE. UU., respectivamente.

Génesis
Dado el estado de la técnica aeronáutica a finales de la década de 1920 y el conservadurismo técnico innato de las fuerzas estadounidenses, Boeing decidió con sensatez evitar cualquier cosa radical en el prototipo de su nuevo caza, y en su diseño y estructura, el nuevo caza era, por tanto, esencialmente la consolidación. de todos los desarrollos que la compañía había construido de manera constante en sus cazas anteriores y otros aviones, combinados en este caso con un motor radial de alta potencia y una serie de refinamientos de diseño de detalles que ayudaron a impulsar el rendimiento por un margen apreciable sobre los alcanzables con los actuales luchadores.

El núcleo del diseño era el fuselaje, que se basaba en una estructura de sección rectangular de tubos de aleación ligera: la sección entre la nariz y un punto en línea con la parte trasera de la cabina era de tubos de Duraluminio de sección redonda soldados entre sí, y la sección de popa de este punto era de tubos de aleación de aluminio de sección cuadrada atornillados a través de refuerzos de duraluminio. A continuación, este núcleo se recuperó a la forma aerodinámica requerida para minimizar el arrastre, y se cubrió con paneles de aleación ligera hacia adelante y a lo largo de la superficie superior, y la tela hacia atrás. De adelante hacia atrás, este fuselaje llevaba el motor, los tanques de combustible y aceite, la cabina abierta del piloto y la unidad de cola. Este último era de construcción semi-monocasco de aleación ligera con revestimiento de duraluminio corrugado y comprendía superficies horizontales y verticales únicas, el primero con un plano de cola ajustable que estaba apuntalado al larguero inferior a cada lado por un solo puntal y llevaba elevadores planos, y el último incluida una pequeña aleta reforzada con alambre que lleva un gran timón de cuerno equilibrado que estaba articulado en su extremo inferior al filo vertical en el que terminaba el fuselaje.

La celula del ala biplano escalonada y desigual era de construcción de madera cubierta de tela con la excepción de los alerones, que eran de construcción semi-monocasco de aleación ligera con revestimiento de duraluminio corrugado e instalados en los extremos exteriores de solo el borde de salida del ala superior para Funcionamiento mediante un sistema de manivelas y varillas de empuje en el ala inferior. Las alas fueron un paso más en el cambio de Boeing de las superficies cónicas, como se introdujo por primera vez en la serie Modelo 77 (F3B), aunque en este caso del tipo recto en la superficie superior y en la superficie inferior. El ala inferior se construyó en mitades que se atornillaron juntas antes de la unión al fuselaje inferior como una unidad cuyos paneles exteriores planos se extendían desde los largueros inferiores, mientras que el ala superior se construyó como una sola unidad plana cuya sección central se sostenía sobre el fuselaje por dos juegos de puntales de cabane tipo N inclinados hacia afuera. Las alas superior e inferior estaban separadas a cada lado por un solo conjunto de puntales interplano tipo N que formaban un ángulo de abajo hacia arriba, y toda la celula del ala estaba reforzada con la disposición normal de cables de vuelo y aterrizaje.

El fuselaje se completaba con el tren de aterrizaje, que en cada tipo era del tipo patín de cola fijo, pero se diferenciaban entre sí principalmente en la disposición de sus unidades principales: el Modelo 83 tenía dos unidades tipo V con una barra esparcidora arriostrada en la parte inferior. más largos por puntales diagonales que se extienden desde su punto medio y también estaba equipado con un dispositivo de detención, mientras que el Modelo 89 había dividido las unidades principales basadas en dos patas de trípode, y tenía provisión debajo de la línea central del fuselaje para una bomba de 500 libras (227 kg).

El Modelo 83 y el Modelo 89 fueron propulsados ​​cada uno por un motor radial de nueve cilindros Pratt & amp Whitney R-1340-B Wasp refrigerado por aire con una potencia de 450 hp (335.5 kW) en una instalación de morro que no tenía cejas pero tenía carenados detrás de los cilindros. y conducía una hélice Hamilton Standard de metal de dos palas cuyo paso se podía ajustar desde el suelo entre dos ángulos.

Ambos aviones fueron evaluados por la Marina de los EE. UU. Con la designación no oficial XF4B-1, y el Modelo 89 también fue probado por el Ejército de los EE. UU. Cada uno de los servicios estaba muy entusiasmado con el rendimiento y el manejo del nuevo caza, y en noviembre de 1928, el Cuerpo Aéreo del Ejército de los EE. UU. Hizo un pedido inicial de 10 ejemplares del nuevo caza. P-12 caza, que era esencialmente idéntico al F4B-1 de la Armada de los EE. UU. (un tipo híbrido con el mecanismo de detención del Modelo 83 y el tren de aterrizaje y la capacidad de bomba de línea central del Modelo 89), aparte de su falta de equipo transportado por portaaviones y su uso de EE. Artículos de equipamiento del Ejército en lugar de la Armada de los EE. UU. El primero de estos Modelo 102 Las máquinas se entregaron en febrero de 1929 en forma no estándar para su uso en un vuelo de buena voluntad a América Central, y luego se devolvieron a Boeing para su revisión a la norma y las marcas P-12 completas.

El primer verdadero P-12 registró su vuelo inaugural en abril de 1929 con el propulsor de un motor R-1340-7 con una potencia de 450 hp (335.5 kW) a 5,000 pies (1525 m) y abastecido con combustible de una capacidad interna de 52 US. gal (43.3 Imp gal 196.8 litros) que podría complementarse con 47 US gal (39.1 Imp gal 177.9 litros) de combustible auxiliar transportado en el tanque ventral. Otros detalles incluyeron un tramo de 30 pies 0 pulgadas (9,14 m) con un área de 227,50 pies cuadrados (21,13 m²), una longitud de 20 pies 1 pulgada (6,12 m), una altura de 9 pies 7 pulgadas (2,92 m), peso vacío de 1.758 lb (797 kg), peso máximo de despegue de 2.536 lb (1150 kg), velocidad máxima de 148,5 kt (171 mph 275 km / h) a 5.000 pies (1525 m), velocidad de crucero de 117 kt (135 mph 217 km) / h), velocidad de ascenso inicial de 634 m (2,080 pies) por minuto, techo de servicio de 8595 m (28,200 pies) y rango típico de 452 nm (520 millas 837 km).

El último de los nueve aviones completados con este estándar se había entregado a finales del mismo mes y estos aviones iniciales se consideraron máquinas de prueba de servicio.

Mayor desarrollo
El décimo avión se completó al Modelo 101 estándar como la suela XP-12A ese era en efecto el verdadero prototipo de la serie USAAC. Esta máquina introdujo alerones tipo Frise con sus líneas de bisagra paralelas al larguero en lugar de en ángulo como había sido el caso en el P-12, una disposición del tren de aterrizaje principal más corta, una cubierta del motor que reemplazó la disposición del P-12. de un carenado detrás de cada cilindro expuesto, ascensores rediseñados y un patín de cola con ruedas. El XP-12A hizo su primer vuelo en abril de 1929 y se perdió después de solo cuatro horas de vuelo como resultado de una colisión en el aire con un P-12.

El valor de algunos de los cambios efectuados en el XP-12A fueron reconocidos y adoptados para el Modelo 102B que USAAC puso en servicio como el P-12B. Esta variante se ordenó en un total de 90 aviones, lo que representó el pedido de caza más grande de USAAC desde 1921, y fue la primera variante de producción genuina. Las características del XP-12A que se trasladaron al P-12B incluyeron los alerones y los elevadores revisados, pero en la mayoría de los otros aspectos, el P-12B se basó en el P-12, aunque se instalaron ruedas más grandes, se omitieron los carenados de los cilindros y más tarde se adoptó una cubierta de anillo de cuerda estrecha. Los otros detalles del P-12B incluían la planta motriz de un motor R-1340-7 con una potencia de 450 hp (335,5 kW) a 5.000 pies (1525 m) y se suministra con combustible de una capacidad interna de 50 gal EE.UU. (41,6 gal EE.UU. 189,25 litros) que podría complementarse con 49 gal EE.UU. (40,8 Imp gal 185,5 litros) de combustible auxiliar transportado en el tanque ventral desechable, un espacio de 30 pies 0 pulg (9,14 m) con un área de 227,50 pies cuadrados (21,13 m²), longitud 20 pies 3 pulg. (6,17 m), altura de 8 pies 10 pulg. (2,69 m), peso en vacío de 1,945 lb (822 kg), peso máximo de despegue de 2,638 lb (1197 kg), velocidad máxima de 152 kt (175 mph 282 km / h) a 5.000 pies (1525 m), velocidad de crucero de 119 kt (137 mph 220,5 km / h), velocidad de ascenso inicial de 2.040 pies (622 m) por minuto, ascenso a 16.500 pies (5030 m) en 10 minutos 0 segundos, techo de servicio de 27,450 pies (8365 m) y rango típico de 468 nm (540 millas 869 km).

El primer P-12B se entregó en febrero de 1930 y las entregas de los 90 aviones se completaron en mayo del mismo año.

Un desarrollo financiado con fondos privados en este momento fue el Modelo 218 prototipo que hizo su primer vuelo en septiembre de 1930 como un desarrollo del P-12B con una estructura de fuselaje de metal semi-monocasco basado en el tipo iniciado en el Modelo 96 (XP-9), Modelo 202 (XP-15) y Modelo 205 ( XF5B-1), una unidad de tren de aterrizaje principal del tipo de barra separadora y, poco después del inicio del programa de pruebas, una superficie de cola vertical de forma revisada como fue pionera en el XP-15 y XF4B-1. Este prototipo fue evaluado por la US Navy y USAAC, esta última le otorgó la designación de prototipo. XP-925 con el motor R-1340-D que luego fue reemplazado por una unidad R-1340-E para producir la designación revisada XP-925A. Con el motor R-1340-D, el XP-925 tenía un peso vacío de 1.954 lb (886 kg) y un peso máximo de despegue de 2.694 lb (1222 kg), y registró una velocidad máxima de 169 kt (195 mph 314 km / h) a 8.000 pies (2440 m). Al final de su programa de pruebas, el Modelo 218 fue vendido a China, donde fue volado por Robert Short, un voluntario estadounidense con las fuerzas chinas, para un compromiso de 1932 en el que el Modelo 218 derribó a un caza japonés antes de sucumbir a otros dos. .

los P-12C , que era conocido por el fabricante como su Modelo 222, se ordenó en junio de 1930 cuando la USAAC emitió un contrato para 131 ejemplos de un P-12B mejorado con una serie de cambios de detalle y un motor posterior. Los cambios externos más obvios en este modelo fueron la reversión al tipo de tren de aterrizaje principal de eje pasante del Modelo 83 y la adopción de una cubierta de anillo para el motor R-1340-9 (R-1340-D) con una potencia de 450 hp (335.5 kW) a 8,000 pies (2440 m) y se suministra con combustible de una capacidad interna de 50 gal EE.UU. (41.6 Imp gal 189.25 litros) que podría complementarse con 60 gal EE.UU. (50 Imp gal 227.1 litros) de combustible auxiliar transportado en el tanque ventral. Los otros detalles del P-12C incluyeron un tramo de 30 pies 0 pulgadas (9,14 m) con un área de 227,50 pies cuadrados (21,13 m²), una longitud de 20 pies 1 pulgada (6,12 m), una altura de 8 pies 8 pulgadas (2,64 m) , peso en vacío de 879 kg (1938 lb), peso máximo de despegue de 1193 kg (2630 lb), velocidad máxima de 286 km / h (178 mph) a 155 kt a 2440 m (8000 pies), velocidad de crucero de 122 kt ( 141 mph 227 km / h), velocidad de ascenso inicial de 1.410 pies (430 m) por minuto, techo de servicio de 26.200 pies (7985 m) y rango típico de 504 millas náuticas (580 millas 933 km).

La USAAC recibió el avión desmontado en agosto de 1930, y el tipo hizo su primer vuelo en enero de 1931. En el caso, solo se entregaron 96 aviones hasta febrero de 1931, y los últimos 35 aviones se completaron para mejorar P-12D estándar conocido por Boeing como el Modelo 227. Esto era externamente indistinguible del P-12C, excepto por la reubicación del arnés de cableado de la parte trasera a la parte delantera del motor y la remoción de los puntales de la capota del P-12C. Los 35 aviones iniciales se desviaron del pedido P-12C y se entregaron desmontados entre febrero y abril de 1931, con un primer vuelo realizado en marzo del mismo año. Más tarde se crearon otros 16 aviones de esta variante como conversiones del P-12C, y la fuerza completa del P-12C y P-12D se modernizó más tarde con la superficie de la cola vertical del P-12E.

Impresionado con la estructura del fuselaje más fuerte, la unidad de cola vertical revisada y el rendimiento mejorado del prototipo Modelo 218 que había probado como XP-925 y XP-925A con diferentes versiones del motor R-1340, USAAC ordenó un derivado de producción como el P-12E al que el fabricante otorgó la designación Modelo 234. En otros aspectos este P-12E era básicamente similar al P-12D con la excepción de su motor y los detalles de sus pesos y rendimiento. El pedido de la variante se realizó en marzo de 1931 y cubrió 135 aviones, de los cuales 110 se entregaron al estándar P-12E entre septiembre y octubre de 1931, con un primer vuelo registrado en octubre. Todos los miembros de la serie P-12 hasta esta variante incluida se entregaron con equipo de flotación en el ala superior, pero en el P-12E esta disposición pronto se eliminó y se reemplazó por una balsa salvavidas de goma inflable almacenada en el reposacabezas de un piloto agrandado.

Esquema de color revisado
Hasta este momento, el esquema de color estándar de USAAC para los cazas comprendía un fuselaje verde oliva y superficies voladoras de color amarillo cromo superpuestas con marcas nacionales, de servicio y de unidad, y fue en este esquema que se entregaron todos los aviones. Los cazas P-12E se revisaron más tarde con un fuselaje azul USAAC, y en 1940 los aviones supervivientes de los modelos P-12E y P-12F se revisaron en un esquema completo de plata.

Durante el transcurso de su vida útil, la aeronave de la variante P-12E se sometió a una serie de cambios de designación para indicar alteraciones del estándar de referencia. los XP-12E fue el primer P-12E retirado del servicio operacional inmediatamente después de su primer vuelo para su uso en trabajos de prueba y, después de pasar por una serie de otros cambios de designación, el avión se convirtió en un P-12E estándar una vez más.

La última variante de producción de la familia P-12 fue la conocida por Boeing como la Modelo 251, y comprendía los últimos 25 aviones de la orden P-12E. Estas P-12F Los aviones se entregaron entre marzo y mayo de 1932 con un estándar que difería del del P-12E principalmente en la planta motriz de un motor SR-1340-G con una potencia nominal de 500 hp (373 kW) a 11,000 pies (3355 m). En un cambio que luego se adaptó al avión anterior y también a todos los aviones P-12E, las últimas 10 máquinas también se entregaron con una rueda de cola en lugar de un patín de cola. La última máquina, que fue el último avión de la familia P-12 y F4B, también se entregó con una cabina completamente cerrada con una sección deslizante hacia atrás para el acceso. Los aviones supervivientes finalmente se retiraron para su uso como fuselajes de instrucción durante 1941.

La única subvariante del P-12B fue un desarrollo experimental, el XP-12G con un motor turboalimentado en forma de una unidad Y1SR-1340-G / H dentro del tipo de capota de anillo adoptado más tarde para el P-12B: este avión fue devuelto al estándar P-12B al final de las pruebas del motor. La única subvariante del P-12D era la XP-12H, que fue el trigésimo tercer avión equipado experimentalmente con el motor de engranajes GISR-1340-E. Las pruebas revelaron el rendimiento insatisfactorio de este motor y el avión se convirtió de nuevo al estándar P-12D. los P-12J era otro P-12E modificado, en este caso con una mira de bomba especial y el motor SR-1340-H con una potencia de 575 hp (429 kW) a 2.500 pies (760 m). Con el XP-12E y cinco aviones P-12E, el P-12J más tarde se convirtió en uno de los siete YP-12K aviones de prueba con el motor de inyección de combustible SR-1340-E todos estos aviones volvieron al estándar básico P-12E en junio de 1938. Antes de este tiempo, la máquina que había sido la XP-12E se convirtió en la única XP-12L entre enero de 1934 y febrero de 1937 después de que su motor fuera revisado con un turbocompresor Tipo F-7.

Aviones privados y de exportación
los Modelo 100 La designación se reservó para las variantes de la serie P-12 entregadas a clientes privados y de exportación. La designación básica se aplicó a cuatro aeronaves operadas en los EE. UU. (Una por la Oficina de Comercio Aéreo, una Pratt & amp Whitney y las dos últimas por Boeing), mientras que la designación Modelo 100A se utilizó para un solo ejemplo de una variante de dos asientos construida por orden de Howard Hughes. La designación Modelo 100E was applied to two fighters sold to Siam (later Thailand): these aircraft were basically P-12E fighters that were delivered in disassembled state in November 1931. Finally, the Model 100F was a civil version of the P-12F sold to Pratt & Whitney for engine development work.

Boeing P-12E

Escribe: fighter and fighter-bomber

Accommodation: pilot in the open cockpit

Fixed armament: one 0.5-in (12.7-mm) Browning M2 fixed forward-firing machine gun with 200 rounds and one 0.3-in (7.62-mm) Browning fixed forward-firing machine gun with 600 rounds, or two 0.3-in (7.62-mm) Browning fixed forward-firing machine guns with 600 rounds per gun in the upper side of the forward fuselage with synchronisation equipment to fire through the propeller disc

Disposable armament: up to 700 lb (317.5 kg) of disposable stores carried on five hardpoints (one under the fuselage rated at 500 lb/227 kg and four under the wing with each unit rated at 50 lb/27 kg), and generally comprising four 25-lb (11.3-kg) bombs under the lower wing as the centreline hardpoint was normally used for the ventral tank although it was capable of lifting one 500- or 250-lb (227- or 113-kg) HE bomb, or two 122-lb (55-kg) demolition bombs

Equipment: standard navigation equipment, plus an optical gun sight

Planta de energía: one Pratt & Whitney R-1340-17 air-cooled 9-cylinder radial piston engine rated at 500 hp (373 kW) for take-off and 525 hp (391 kW) at 6,000 ft (1830 m)

Internal fuel: 55 US gal (45.8 Imp gal 208.2 litres)

External fuel: up to 55 US gal (45.8 Imp gal 208.2 litres) of auxiliary fuel in one 55 US gal (45.8 Imp gal 208.2 litre) jettisonable tank carried under the fuselage

Dimensiones: span 30 ft 0 in (9.14 m) area 227.50 sq ft (21.13 m²) length 20 ft 3 in (6.17 m) height 9 ft 0 in (2.74 m)

Pesos: empty 1,999 lb (907 kg) maximum take-off 2,690 lb (1220 kg)

Rendimiento: maximum level speed ‘clean’ 164 kt (189 mph 304 km/h) at 7,000 ft (2135 m) declining to 148.5 kt (171 mph 275 km/h) at sea level cruising speed, maximum 139 kt (160 mph 257.5 km/h) at optimum altitude initial climb rate 2,050 ft (625 m) per minute climb to 10,000 ft (3050 m) in 5 minutes 48 seconds service ceiling 26,300 ft (8015 m) typical range 504 nm (580 miles 933 km)

Operators: China (1), Siam (2) & USA (366)

Variant totals:
P-12 USA (10)
P-12A: USA (90)
P-12C: USA (96)
P-12D: USA (35)
P-12E: USA (110)
P-12F: USA (25)
Model 100E: Siam (2)
Model 218: China (1)

US serial numbers:
P-12: 29-353/361
XP-12A: 29-362
P-12B: 29-329/341, 29-433/450 & 30-29/87
P-12C: 31-147/242
P-12D: 31-243/277
P-12E: 31-553/586 & 32-39/76
XP-12E: 31-553
P-12F: 32-77/101
XP-12G: 29-329
XP-12H: not available
P-12J: 32-42
YP-12K: 32-33, 32-36, 32-40. 32-46 & 32-49
XP-12L: 31-553


Accelerating Our Actions to Combat Racial Inequity

We aspire to be the most equitable, diverse and inclusive company. Yet for many, equity and inclusion remain an aspiration, not a reality.

As a company, we are taking a stronger stance than ever before in raising the bar on key measures of equity and inclusion and holding ourselves accountable for clearing that bar. Last year we implemented an equity action plan to advance inclusion and equity for all, confront racism head-on, and build and support a coalition among suppliers and partners.

Internally, we established a Racial Equity Task Force to serve as a long-term think tank representing a diverse mix of viewpoints and experiences from different sites, positions and backgrounds. This task force is helping us lead and drive transformational and systemic change.

We have committed to closing representation gaps for all historically underrepresented groups and are working diligently to increase Black representation by 20% in our U.S. workforce. Further, we have committed, beginning in 2021, to publicly disclose detailed workplace diversity data.


Boeing 100/P-12/F4B

In 1928, Boeing introduced the first in a series of fighters that would become one of the most successful designs of the interwar period. The Model 83 and 89 prototypes were significantly advanced compared to Boeing's previous fighter planes. Refined and improved versions were developed as the Army P-12, the Navy F4B, and the civil Model 100 series. The military variants were armed with two machine guns, one each of .30 and .50 caliber, and could also externally carry bombs. A total of 586 examples of this famous Boeing biplane were built. It was one of the premier frontline fighters for both the U.S. Army and Navy throughout the 1930s.

The P-12/F4B/100 series is a mixture of old and new design components. Although many monoplane designs were emerging in the late 1920s, the military still wanted proven, World War I-style biplanes. While the Boeing fighters were still primarily cloth-covered, the company incorporated corrugated aluminum aileron and tail surfaces. The wing structure was made of spruce and mahogany, but the fuselage was a combination of welded steel tubing and bolted aluminum tubing. Later versions incorporated aluminum skin throughout.

The Museum's Boeing Model 100 was one of four built as commercial export versions of the Navy F4B-1. This one was delivered to Pratt & Whitney and was used as a flying test bed. Over the course of its career, it flew with a variety of different engines, including the R-1340 Wasp, R-985 Wasp Jr., R-1535 Twin Wasp, and R-1690 Hornet.


Varianten

(die erste Bezeichnung ist die Boeing-interne Modellbezeichnung, die Bezeichnung in Klammern entspricht der Typenbezeichnung der Streitkr๏te)

Model 99 (F4B-1A)

Einzelst࿌k Umrüstung einer Maschine der ursprünglichen F4B1-Reihe für einen hochgestellten Mitarbeiter der US Navy

Model 100

Bezeichnung für vier Zivilmaschinen entspr. der F4B-1-Reihe, die von Boeing für den Export hergestellt wurden

Model 101A

Einzelst࿌k für den US-Milliardär Howard Hughes hergestellter Zweisitzer

Model 100E

zwei Maschinen ähnlich Model 234 (s. u.), ausgeliefert an Thailand/ Royal Thai Air Force

Model 100F

eine Maschine, an Pratt & Whitney ausgeliefert für Triebwerkstests (ähnlich Model 251 s. u.)

Model 101 (XP-12A)

modifizierte Model 102 die Modifikationen bezogen sich auf geänderte Quer- und Höhenruder, einem veränderten Fahrwerk, einem schwenkbaren Hecksporn sowie einer NACA-Motorverkleidung

Model 102 (P-12)

So wurden die ersten neun von insgesamt 10 von der US-Army-bestellten Maschinen bezeichnet, die nach den erfolgreichen Tests bei Boeing bestellt wurden. Dieser Typ entsprach weitestgehend dem Testmuster der Model 89-Reihe (XF4B-1).

Model 102B (P-12B)

Diese Ausführung entsprach der Model 101-Reihe mit verbesserten Quer- und Höhenrudern 90 Maschinen dieses Typs wurden von der US Army beschafft.

XP-12G

Ein Einzelst࿌k aus der P-12B-Reihe (siehe oben) wurde kurzzeitig für Testzwecke von der US Army mit einem Sternmotor des Typs Pratt & Whitney-R1340 mit Turbolader ausgestattet, später aber wieder auf den Standard zur࿌kgebaut.

Model 218

Die Model 218 war ein Einzelst࿌k von Boeing, gebaut mit einem Rumpf in Halbschalenbauweise. Die Maschine wurde der US Army für Tests als Muster für Model 234 kurzzeitig zur Verfügung gestellt und später nach China verkauft. Dort ging sie bei einem Luftkampf mit drei japanischen Flugzeugen verloren, nachdem ihr Pilot zwei seiner Gegner abschie෾n konnte.

Model 222 (P-12C)

verbesserte Model 102B mit Stromlinienverkleidung des Triebwerks, mit einem Fahrwerk ähnlich der Ursprungsausführung des Model 83 131 Maschinen dieser Reihe wurden von der US Army bestellt, 95 (nach anderer Quelle 96) Maschinen wurden ausgeliefert (Rest als Model 227)

Model 223 (F4B-2)

48 Maschinen der Marineausführung der Model 222 (mit Spornrad)

Model 227 (P-12D)

restliche 36 Maschinen der Model 222-Lieferung die Änderung der Typenbezeichnung ergab sich aus kleineren Detailänderungen

XP-12H

ein Exemplar der Model 227-Reihe, das kurzzeitig versuchsweise mit anderer Motorisierung ausgestattet war und später auf P-12D-Standard zur࿌kgebaut wurde

Model 234 (P-12E)

135 Maschinen dieses Typs wurden von der US Army bestellt, 110 Exemplare wurden von Boeing produziert, der Rest wurde als Model 251 mit abweichender Motorisierung ausgeliefert

Model 235 (F4B-3 bzw. F4B-4)

21 Exemplare der Model 235-Reihe wurden von der Navy als F4B-3 eingesetzt die Maschinen entsprachen im Grundsatz der P-12E der Army weitere 92 St࿌k dieses Modells erhielten ein grö෾res Seitenleitwerk und wurden von der Navy als F4B-4 bezeichnet.

In die Kopfstützen der letzten 45 Maschinen dieser Reihe wurde ein zusammengefaltetes Schlauchboot integriert.

Model 251 (P-12F)

die letzten 25 ausgelieferten Maschinen der Model 234-Reihe, ausgestattet mit einem Pratt & Whitney-SR-1340 einer neueren Generation, der den Vorteil hatte, in gro෾n Höhen eine bessere Leistung zu liefern als der Vorgänger

Model 256

14 nach Brasilien gelieferte Maschinen (Ausführung entsprach der F4B-4, jedoch ohne Fanghaken für die Verwendung als Landflugzeug)

Model 267

Muster ebenfalls für Brasilien dieser Typ, von dem 14 St࿌k ausgeliefert wurden, hatte das Tragwerk der P-12E, ansonsten entsprach die Maschine der F4B-3

Bezeichnung für sieben aus der P-12E umgebaute Maschinen mit F-2-Turbolader, der Zeitpunkt der Umrüstung ist nicht bekannt, ebenso wenig liegen Informationen darﲾr vor, ob später evtl. ein R࿌kbau erfolgt ist.

Anzumerken ist noch, dass einige P-12, die ursprünglich an die US Army ausgeliefert worden waren, im Jahre 1940 an die Navy ﲾrgeben worden sind und dort als F4B-4A bezeichnet wurden.

Zwischen 1929 und 1931 wurden von Boeing 586 Maschinen dieser Typenfamilie produziert, davon 366 St࿌k an die US-Streitkr๏te geliefert. Sie wurde au෾r in den USA, Brasilien und China auch in Spanien eingesetzt.


Boeing P-12, F4B refined the art of American biplane fighters

The decade of the 1920s was a transitional time for American military aircraft design and construction.

Early fighters of the era, though better than the machines of the recently concluded Great War, were hardly revolutionary.

They began employing welded steel tube fuselages, a design advancement proven in combat with Fokker fighters flown by German airmen.

The Aircraft Year Book for 1928, reflecting back on 1927, observed: “…the tendency toward the use of metals noted in 1926 was even more marked in 1927. The use of wood fuselage construction has practically disappeared.”

Vintage Boeing P-12 photo depicts aircraft serial number 29-354. This serial was copied for the restoration of the similar Boeing Model 100 now in the Museum of Flight in Seattle. In this photo, the P-12 has streamlined fairings behind each cylinder in an attempt to reduce drag in actuality, the P-12 gained speed after these fairings were removed. (Boeing photo via Harl V. Brackin, Jr.)

The postwar pursuits initially relied on liquid-cooled engines, even as military planners looked ahead to enhanced simplicity and reliability that could be gained from emerging air-cooled radial powerplants.

Boeing sold a number of biplane fighter designs to the Navy in the 1920s incorporating air-cooled engines, welded steel fuselages, and the use of some corrugated aluminum flight control structure. This was in keeping with the Boeing team’s knack for melding traditional and new technologies as the company hammered out a strong design rationale by the end of the first decade of its existence.

Boeing was not alone in its evolution of fighter design in the 1920s. Curtiss was a strong rival, likewise bridging the divide between air-cooled and liquid-cooled engines in its offerings to the American military.

What followed from Boeing in 1928 began as a privately funded design venture that sought to improve on the performance of those earlier biplanes with lighter weight. Called Model 83, this new biplane initially used a hybrid fuselage construction with welded steel tubing in the forward fuselage and bolted square aluminum tube construction from the cockpit aft.

Boeing employed square aluminum tube in the design of its Model 80 trimotor airliner and in later projects, including B-17 wing structure.

The Boeing Model 83 was called the P-12 by the Air Corps and the F4B by the Navy. It was an early instance of serendipitous commonality — the biplane had been designed to meet a Navy need, but the Air Corps subsequently found it viable for that service’s requirements as well.

P-12s and F4Bs went through a series of model letters. Both services’ examples started out as quite traditional biplanes with fabric-covered fuselages. But with the introduction of the Army’s P-12E and the Navy’s F4B-3, the fuselage was an aluminum-clad semi-monocoque design that foretold the future of fighters.

Boeing F4B-3 of U.S. Marine Corps in 1933. (USMC photo via Barrett Tillman)

Throughout development of the P-12 and F4B series, differing Boeing model numbers were applied, from Model 83 to 89, 99, 100, 101, 102, 218, 222, 223, 227, 234, 235, 251, 256, and 267.

The handful of Model 100s were civilian test beds, demonstrators, and personal aircraft. One, flown by the Boeing company and registered NC874H, was fitted with a Boeing ring cowl similar to the pioneering British Townend Ring. The cowling reduced drag on this Model 100’s higher compression and supercharged variant of the Pratt and Whitney Wasp engine, and claims of speeds in excess of 200 miles per hour were made for this demonstrator in a January 1930 story in “Aviation” magazine.

Lew Wallick makes the first restoration flight in Model 100 at Boeing Field on 19 September 1977. (Photo by Frederick A. Johnsen)

Production P-12s never breached 200 miles an hour. This Model 100 was later sold to the Mitsui Co. in Japan.

Historian Peter M. Bowers described the P-12 as a fairly safe bet not too radical to gain acceptance, and with tried-and-true refinements over earlier biplanes to give it a performance edge. Bowers said the P-12 had the good fortune of arriving on the scene when its improvements were valid for the military, just before biplane fighters lost the edge to monoplanes.

The U.S. Army Air Corps, Navy, and Marines flew variants of the P-12 and F4B, as did countries like Thailand and Brazil.

Army P-12E shows the somewhat enlarged fin and rudder common to the Navy’s F4B-3 version. The Navy’s F4B-4 would make the vertical fin even bigger.

The various models of P-12 and F4B evolved different landing gear struts, aileron shapes, fuel tank locations, and, most radically, the aluminum fuselage of the F4B-3, P-12E, and later models.

F4B-4 at Brown Field, Quantico, Virginia, on April 13, 1934. Aircraft is serial 9037 from squadron VF-10M.

The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) used a Navy F4B-2 in the first half of the 1930s for a series of explorations on the efficacy of tail configuration changes as an aid to spin recovery.

At one point in the flight research program, the F4B-2 had a T-tail, with its horizontal tail surfaces nearly in line with the biplane’s upper wing, and just over three feet higher than normal position.

This NACA F4B-2 was an early adopter of a spin parachute for emergency recovery, using a design that improved upon a rudimentary and not satisfactory spin chute the Navy had tried earlier.

During spin testing, this Boeing F4B-2 flown by the NACA differed from the standard in having an experimental “T” tail. (NACA)

The T-tail configuration aided spin recovery, according to a NACA report: “The ease with which recoveries could be made was decidedly improved by raising the stabilizer and elevator, especially when the stabilizer and elevator were raised to the top of the fin and rudder. Of all the conditions tested, only the one with the stabilizer and elevator at the top of the fin gave satisfactory recoveries with the controls held neutral.” The larger vertical fin and rudder of the F4B-4 proved helpful in spin recovery.

Army P-12E tucks in tight with the camera plane, showing off bright markings. (Air Corps via Gen. Stephen McElroy collection)

Serving well into the 1930s, some P-12s and F4B-4s were available for use by the Navy as early-day full-size target drones between 1940 and 1942.

The P-12 and F4B operated in an era of bright and often geometric markings. Even in black-and-white, the accompanying photos bespeak a bold era of pre-war fliers.

Note: Aviation photographer and historian Jim Morrow died Jan. 20, 2018. He was 92. Jim was an important component of the historical aviation community in Puget Sound for decades.

Frederick Johnsen

Fred Johnsen is a product of the historical aviation scene in the Pacific Northwest. The author of numerous historical aviation books and articles, Fred was an Air Force historian and curator. Now he devotes his energies to coverage for GAN as well as the Airailimages YouTube Channel. You can reach him at [email protected]

About Frederick Johnsen

Fred Johnsen is a product of the historical aviation scene in the Pacific Northwest. The author of numerous historical aviation books and articles, Fred was an Air Force historian and curator. Now he devotes his energies to coverage for GAN as well as the Airailimages YouTube Channel. You can reach him at [email protected]

General Aviation News reserves the right to delete snarky, offensive or off-topic comments. See our Comment Policy for more details.


“Epic of Flight” Mural by James W. Potter Jr

Following a long career of military service with the Colorado National Guard, Army Air Corps, and US Air Force, James W. Potter Jr joined the Boeing Airplane Company in the early 1950s as an aircraft illustrator. For three decades, he produced cut-away and concept illustrations for future aircraft designs, many of which appeared in aviation magazines, trade journals, and books.

His “Epic of Flight” mural is made up of eight oil paintings depicting the early history of Boeing aircraft. From left to right, the paintings feature: a Curtiss Model D Pusher, William Boeing and Ed Hubbard with the C-700, a Boeing P-12, a Boeing Model 40, a Boeing Monomail, a Boeing P-26, a Boeing B-17 prototype, and a Boeing 247.

Following a long career of military service with the Colorado National Guard, Army Air Corps, and US Air Force, James W. Potter Jr joined the Boeing Airplane Company in the early 1950s as an aircraft illustrator. For three decades, he produced cut-away and concept illustrations for future aircraft designs, many of which appeared in aviation magazines, trade journals, and books.

His “Epic of Flight” mural is made up of eight oil paintings depicting the early history of Boeing aircraft. From left to right, the paintings feature: a Curtiss Model D Pusher, William Boeing and Ed Hubbard with the C-700, a Boeing P-12, a Boeing Model 40, a Boeing Monomail, a Boeing P-26, a Boeing B-17 prototype, and a Boeing 247.

Accession: 1983-9-1B
Escribe: Original art, painting
Dimensiones: 144'' W, 48'' H (entire mural)
Fecha:
1983


William E. Boeing Sr. Papers

The William E. Boeing, Sr. Papers are comprised of visual and textual materials related to the personal life and career of William E. Boeing, Sr. (WEB). The collection holds textual materials, such as correspondence and philately, business-related materials, and clippings and ephemera as well as photographs and illustrations, circa 1783-2008. Major areas of interest include family photographs and extensive personal and business-related correspondence, especially during the founding of The Boeing Company, and several rare pieces of aerophilately. In most instances, materials have been collected by William E. Boeing, Sr. although a few items were likley gathered by family members after his death.

The collection has been arranged into two series visual materials and textual materials, which have been further arranged into subseries. Materials are arranged chronologically within subseries. See the Note on Arrangement for more details.

Series I, Visual materials, circa 1783-1975, consists of two subseries: photographs and balloon illustrations . The photographs subseries includes approximately eighty photographic images and includes primarily vintage prints, two cartes-de-visites (card photographs), and a few modern reprints. It is further divided into six subseries: family and personal, lumber industry, aircraft and aircraft-related, boats (yachts), people, and Alaska hunting expedition. Sizes vary from 3x5" to 11x17". Many photographs include brief captions providing contextual information such as name, date, and/or location. Some duplication occurs.

The family and personal subseries, circa 1868-1955, includes two cartes-de-visite photographs depicting Wilhelm and Marie Boeing, WEB's parents black-and-white photographs of WEB and family members, such as his sister Caroline and his Uncle Rudie casual snapshots and portraits of WEB a black-and-white photograph of a snow-covered "Aldarra," WEB's Seattle home and portraits of WEB's racehorses, including "Porter's Mite."

The lumber industry subseries, circa 1903-1915, includes black-and-white photographs of WEB and unidentified men in various logging and lumber yards.

Within the aircraft and aircraft-related subseries, circa 1909-1940s, are black-and-white photographs of WEB's Martin Seaplane in the air, on the water, and in the hangar. WEB is often in many of these images. There are also assorted images of a tent hangar on Lake Washington two images including Eddie Hubbard with Boeing Model C various images of other aircraft, including a Loening C2, Boeing P-12, Boeing Model 200 Monomail, and Boeing Model 204A and WEB's Douglas DC-5 "Rover," which includes an inscription from Donald W. Douglas.

The boats (yachts) subseries, circa 1917-1930s, is comprised of a handful of black-and-white pictures of yachts on the water, including WEB's "Taconite." WEB is included in two of the images in this series.

Included in the people subseries, 1915-circa 1950s, is a black-and-white photograph of Floyd Smith, a portrait of Clairmont "Claire" L. Egtvedt inscribed to Bertha and WEB, and two images with unidentified men, likely related to aviation. One of the images shows two men reading a [teletype?] tape in what looks to be a navigational room and the other image shows a man in front of a radio control panel.

The Alaska hunting expedition subseries, circa 1916-1920, contains black-and-white photographs from a trip that WEB had planned to attend but did not it is unknown who took the photographs. In Box Two, Folder 56 a letter, dated 1916, mentions a "trip to the Arctic that he [WEB] will likely forego" which may be referring to the trip where the photographs were taken. Note that some images depict graphic scenes. Most of the images depict hunting scenes, including walrus and polar bear kills, animal skins drying on a hillside, and a group of people posing with hunting implements such as guns. There are also a few images of Alaska Natives, as well as a wooden structure and a shrouded body on wooden poles, likely as part of a funeral.

The last sub-series within visual materials is balloon illustrations , circa 1783-1850s, and contains thirteen prints of varying types, including engravings, etchings, and letterpress prints. It is likely that these were collected by WEB. Most have two copies. Several have tags and/or captions which provide context. The images depict early aviation balloons in various scenes, such as in flight over cities and landscapes and in ascent or descent status. The dates given in the inventory reflect the dates of the events illustrated, not necessarily the dates the prints were made. Also present are a few related documents.

Series II, Textual materials, 1910-2008 , is comprised of three sub-series: correspondence and philately , business-related materials , and clippings and ephemera . The correspondence and philately subseries (circa 1910-1963, bulk dates 1910-1929) is by far the largest and holds assorted correspondence in the form of letters and telegrams the bulk of which is correspondence between WEB and G.C. Westervelt, particularly during the early years of Boeing Aircraft Company. Note that Westervelt's handwriting is quite difficult to read.

Virtually none of the correspondence is accompanied by the original envelope and none include original enclosed materials. Many letters sent on behalf of WEB, when out of town, include an illegible signature but are likely by Edgar Gott based on replies to these letters. Major topics include the company's early aircraft and searches for pilots, contracts with the military, and partnership with University of Washington in regard to the construction and use of a wind tunnel. Additionally, the birth of air mail is reflected in correspondence and by the many pieces of aerophilately, 1918-1953. This material is primarily in the form of air mail covers [envelopes], although there are a couple of airgrams and postcards as well. First flights, first issues, and commemorative pieces form the bulk of the philatelic material. Some air mail covers includes air mail stamps, although not all do. Most of the correspondence with the air mail pieces is simply a quick note for the sake of creating a collectible cover.

The business-related materials subseries, 1917-circa 1965, is a relatively small set of items consisting of documents created by The Boeing Company at various points, including meeting minutes, company news briefs, and an aircraft model chronology sheet. There is also a list of Boeing Company promotional films available for loan to outside agencies. Note that the company name changed slightly over time and this is reflected in folder titles. Some of the material is referenced in the correspondence sub-series.

Lastly, the clippings and ephemera subseries, 1910-2008, holds original and photocopied newspaper clippings from an assortment of newspapers, including the Seattle Times , Seattle Post-Intelligencer , and the Wall Street Journal , among others. Topics include aviation in general, Boeing Company, and WEB. Other materials include a Boeing Air Transport passenger ticket, a 1927 program reception booklet for Charles Lindbergh, a blank "Nookey ration card," and a November 1956 leather-bound issue of Boeing magazine with a memorial article about WEB. Additionally there is a photocopy of a map which depicts the Boeing family homestead in Germany and an undated caricature of WEB flying a biplane.


Boeing P-12 - History

Serving the US Navy at the end of the biplane era, the classic F4B was the star of the family of famous Boeing fighters which included the US Army Air Corps' P-12 and the export Model 100. The F4B was a super ship to fly and was the most capable carrier-based fighter of its time. For all its elegance and maneuverability, the F4B triumphed successfully for only a brief time before being eclipsed by the arrival of the monoplane in the late 1930s.

Boeing F4B (P-12)

The first production model, the F4B-1, flew in May 1929. Developed from the original self-funded Boeing prototypes, twenty-seven models were ordered with a split landing gear,like the kind used on the Model 89. The landing gear configuration was split so it could accommodate a bomb between the aircraft's wheels an important design distinction, since the Navy used its fighting aircraft for pursuit and dive-bombing. The first F4B-1s served on board the USS Lexington and the USS Langle), two of the Navy's first aircraft carriers. Later, existing F4B-1s were modified with innovations from later variants and served as Navy trainers.

The next modification, the F4B-2, favored the Model 83's pivoting cross- axle landing gear with "V" struts and bracing. This version incorporated a swiveling tailwheel and provisions for flotation, two beneficial features for a carrier-based aircraft. In all, forty-six F4B-2s were built and delivered by May 1931. This F4B closely resembled the P-12C, but the Navy's F4B-2 was built as a fighter-bomber. Unlike the P-12C, the F4B-2 had the capacity to carry 116 pounds of external stores.

Having already modified the F4B twice, Boeing came to a design cross- roads. The company decided not to cover the next F4B variants with fabric. Instead, a semimonocoque covering made of duralumin paneling was used to significantly enhance aerodynamic performance and lengthen the service and maintenance life of each aircraft. Duralumin was already used to cover the control surfaces using the material more extensively was a logical evolutionary progression. At first, engineers were concerned about the additional weight involved in replacing fabric with metal, but the all-metal F4Bs did not experience performance degradation as compared to their older fabric-covered models. Other enhancements and design evolutions kept pace with airframe improvements, thereby negating any weight issues.

The F4B-3 served on the USS Saratoga before being reassigned to the Marine Corps. Besides the semimonocoque fuselage, it featured a turtledeck fairing aft of the cockpit. Twenty-one were built in all. The P-IZE most closely followed the modifications made to the F4B-3.

Lastly, the F4B-4 ended the program. Sporting several modern innovations -like the all-metal fuselage, stronger wings, and a redesigned tail for increased stability-theF4B-4 became the flagship of the program. With ninety-two built, not only was the F4B-4 the most-produced variant in the program, it also came to embody the quality design and innovative spirit of 1930s pursuit aircraft design.

Overall, Boeing produced 187 F4Bs for the Navy. Along with the P-12s made for the Army, 586 aircraft were produced before the program ended: the last F4B left the production line on the last day of February 1933.

The F4B and the P-12 had an amazingly long service life. F4Bs were still serving on American naval carriers as late as 1938, and in 1941, al the start of World War II, existing F4Bs and P-12s were used as radio-controlled drones. Boeing even exported aircraft based on this design to other nations-an uncommon practice at the time, since European-designed aircraft typically had the developmental edge.

The F4B and P-12 evolved from fabric covering and wooden wings to an all-metal semimonocoque construction. Boeing used smart marketing to analyze its buyers' needs, competently developing both a Navy and an Army version from the same basic airframe. It was only a matter of time before those same forward-looking engineers would overcome the inherent flaws built into every biplane design and perfect the monoplane. Soon, newer aircraft, like the Boeing P-26 Peashooter and other monoplanes, would take over the frontline duties, replacing the F4B andP-12 workhorses of the thirties. Sooner still, the warbirds of World War II would take to the skies to test the principles first put into practice by pioneering fighter aircraft like the F4B and P-12.

Boeing P-12 (F4B)

The Boeing P-12 was the definitive American fighter plane of the 1930s, the golden age of aviation. Its chunky profile, from the big, flat, reliable air-cooled radial engine to the broad tail surfaces, set the pattern for American pursuit planes until well into World War II. The P-12 became stockier as it developed, sturdy rather than fast and easy rather than tricky to fly. It was a commercial success but not a milestone of aerodynamic design. Although P-12s were often decorated with the flashy stripes and colorful heraldry of the peacetime military, the airplane was anything but flamboyant.

The P-12 was the frontline pursuit plane of both the U.S. Navy and the Army Air Corps through the early 1930s. The prototype, designed to meet a Navy requirement, was developed from a series of Navy carrier fighters that dated back to 1925. The Army monitored the Navy's tests of the new F'4B, liked it, and immediately ordered ten equivalent P-12s. These were far more maneuverable than the Curtiss pursuits then in service. Some civil versions of the plane (Model 100) were developed into potent racers and stunt planes by such notable pilots as Milo Burcham and Howard Hughes.

A total of 586 of the P-12/F4B/Model 100 series were built from l928 to 1933, a remarkable production run during the Depression. The P-12 made the Boeing Company America's foremost fighter-plane supplier at a time when many companies were struggling to stay in business.

The main P-12 innovation was the use of bolted aluminum tubing in its fuselage structure in place of welded steel tubing. Beginning with Model E, this frame was covered entirely with sheet aluminum, making it stronger but lighter than earlier steel-and-fabric designs. As a result the P-12 could withstand higher G-loads in aerial maneuvers, and offered better engine vibration damping and improved protection for the pilot from gunfire or crashes.

Later models featured an engine cowling ring, a streamlined removable cover that greatly smoothed airflow over the bulky radial engines. (The Museum of Flight P-12 is one of the very rare earlier models without the cowling.) The series was developed through no fewer than ten models.

The P-12 was surprisingly influential - chiefly because of its sheer conventionality-and both the Soviet Union and Japan built derivatives. A Chinese P-12 was the first fighter to shoot down a Japanese aircraft in the Sino- Japanese conflict, downing two of its attackers before itself being destroyed by the third. Army P-12s had been replaced by P-26 monoplanes in frontline service by 1935, but the Navy's F4Bs soldiered on until 1938 because of their excel- lent maneuverability, low landing approach speeds, and resistance to the heavy wear of carrier operations. Both types were still in second-line service after Pearl Harbor.

The first Army P-12, the Pan American, was flown to Central America on a speed-flight goodwill mission by Capt. Ira C. Eaker in 1929. Nearly ten years later, Eaker completed the first transcontinental instrument flight in a P-12, flying all the way under a specially designed blind-flying hood. Eaker later became Commanding General of the U.S. Army Air Force Eighth Air Force in England.

Most of the surviving P-12/F4B airplanes were assigned to the Navy in 1941 for use as target drones. The handful of present-day survivors were either assigned as ground crew training aids or used by civilian air-show performers.

The Museum of Flight's P-12 is the second of eight single-seat civil Boeing Model 100s built along with the military ones (plus an additional 1004 two-seater). The first Model 100, which flew October 8, 1929, was bought by what is now the Federal Aviation Administration. The second, the Museum of Flight's aircraft, serial number 1143, was sold that year to the aero-engine manufacturer Pratt & Whitney as an engine test bed. It was equipped with a quick-change engine mount and is reported to have flown with three different P&W engines in one day to demonstrate its versatility. The third was retained by Boeing as a test aircraft and later sold to the movie stunt pilot Paul Mantz, who at one time owned both it and the Museum of Flight aircraft. The fourth 100 was sold to Japan. Two more 100s, designated Model 100E, were exported to Thailand, where one survives in the Thai Air Force Museum, in Bangkok, and the eighth was another engine test bed for Pratt & Whitney.

The one and only two-seat 100A was modified for racing by the young Howard Hughes. Hughes, it seems, was not taken seriously as an airman until he won a sportsman pilot's air race over Miami in the 100A in 1930. Later on, decked out with rakish streamlined wheel spats, a deeper cowl, and a taller fin, the Hughes plane had a 30-year career as an air-show performer, being flown by Col. Art Goebel and a succession of others until 1957, when it was destroyed. After its career with Pratt & Whitney, the Museum of Flight's aircraft was sold to Milo Burcham on September 27, 1933. He modified it for skywriting and air-show work, painted it blood red, added fuel and oil systems for inverted flight, and flew it upside down from Los Angeles to San Diego. In 1936 he won the World Aerobatic Championship at the Los Angeles National Air Races in it, beating specially designed European stunt planes and their government- supported pilots.

Number 1143 was also a movie star. It appeared in Men with Wings in 1938 and in an early 1940s movie, title unknown, in which it was disguised as a British Gloster Gladiator fighter. It may have been damaged at that time. Mantz bought it for spare parts in 1948 (ten years after Burcham had sold it) and reassembled it to look like a two-seat Curtiss F8C-2 Helldiver for the film Task Force. (Mantz, by the way, became known as "Mr. Upside Down" by flying inverted in the third Model 100, the next one off the Boeing line, in a wheel-to-wheel air-show stunt with Frank Clarke.)

The Museum of Flight's airplane has been restored as an early P-12, a representation made easy by the fact that the sole difference between the military P-12 and the Model 100 was the lack of armament on the civil version. The Model 100's reduced weight made it faster than the military P-12/F4B, nudging some of the 100s close to the 200-mph range.

This aircraft was discovered as a basket case in Florida by Seattle attorney Robert S. Mucklestone, who bought it in early 1977 in partnership with Boeing chief of test flight S. L. "Lew" Wallick (Pictured Below). Orville Tosch headed the restoration team. The machine guns that would have armed a P-12 have been simulated on the Museum's aircraft, and it bears the "Kicking Mule" insignia of the famed 95th Pursuit Squadron, based during the early 1930s at March Field, near Riverside, California.


Boeing 727-223

The Airline History Museum welcomes Boeing 727-223 tail number N874AA as our latest addition. This new addition comes courtesy of the Musuem of Flight in Seattle, Washington. We are fortunate to have developed a great relationship with the Museum of Flight and they have graciously donated this aircraft to our museum. This project came about when they began planning a new building that would house many of the prototypes from Boeing including the 787 and 747.

Stored away at Paine Field in Everette Washington, the museum had acquired the very first 727 which was delivered in 1963. With decision made to ferry N7001U to Boeing Field and add it to the new facility the MOF was running short on space. N874AA was in need of a new home.

Fortunately, one of our favorite members, John DeLapena was visiting the MOF at that time and discovered the American Airlines 727 was in danger of being scrapped. He spoke to Bob Bogash and asked if they would let our museum provide it a new home. Bob, being the passionate aviation preservationist that he is, went to work with the MOF board and staff to make it happen. On March 4th 2016, the MOF signed the aircraft over to the museum. The crews are hard at work to prepare the aircraft for its ferry flight to its new home at Hangar 9.

You can follow the progress here and for more live news on the progress, follow the aircraft on Facebook.


Ver el vídeo: Reproduction Boeing P-12 fighter engine startup. (Enero 2022).